Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Help identifying Ludwig hi-hat stand

Hi friends.

I am interested in buying this hi-hat stand.

Could someone tell me what era it is from?

Thanks in advance and happy new year everyone.

2 attachments
Posted on 2 years ago

That's an 1123-1 that is missing the clutch. Rob Cook's Ludwig book states that it was used from 1966-1982. I'm not sure they were used that late (1982). Perhaps they were, but the 1124 Atlas stand (1966-1978) with the adjustable spring tension is superior.

The 1123-1 is fine, but the spring will fatigue, and then the weight of the top cymbal will cause the push-rod/pedal assembly to sag a bit, even with 14" cymbals....The nylon-type linkage (faded white, nearly yellow) at the top of the footboard can develop a crack from age and hard use. I bought a used 1123-1 on ebay a few years ago, and the link broke soon after. Sometime in the 1970s, the link was changed to steel.

The pull-rod on an 1123, in my experience, can be a bit short for tall drummers or those who sit high on the stool.

The "spur lock" below the heel plate is good. Its teeth will engage your drum rug and keep the hi-hat from "walking" forward on you.

Take a look at the Ludwig logo on the wing-nut locking assembly at the top of the 3 legs. The "full underline" logo began in 1969, although I'm sure there was a transition period before the change in logo was fully implemented.

It's a good light-weight hi-hat. I've got two of them, plus an 1124 Atlas and an 1131 Hercules (heavier-weight). I think the 1124 is the best, if you can find one with a good nylon linkage, or the later steel linkage.

Happy New Year! mb

Posted on 2 years ago

Hey, Marty. Thank you very much for the extensive information.

Posted on 2 years ago

The Ludwig 1123-1 hi hat stand is excellent for lighter hat cymbals. As MB noted, the spring can fatigue, causing the top cymbal to push down on the spring. I've had quite a few of these stands and what I've done is to "pre-load" the spring by using washers to compress the spring just enough to keep the top cymbal in the open position enough to allow good action. I still have one 1123-1 stand and it works great! Still, the 1124 Atlas stand is far superior. Especially with the spring tension knob!

-Mark

Posted on 2 years ago

Yeah, that model survived well into the 1980s. The final ones had the big black plastic handles on them. One of my all time favorites. Not adjustable but as long as the spring is good they just seem to have a perfect feel.

Still in the 1984 catalog...

1 attachments
Posted on 2 years ago

That's great, thanks K.O. I had never seen an 1123-1 with the late 1970s-early 1980s(?) black plastic handles. Rob Cook's Ludwig book mentions that they had breakage problems with those plastic handles. Gorillas cranking them down too tight?

Regards, MB

Posted on 2 years ago

Most of us have our favorite bass drum pedals and hi-hat stands. I'v had many over the years--including some Ludwigs. My favorite and most dependable pedals and hi-hats since 1961 have always been the Rogers Swivomatic units. I have a few of the bass drum pedals and a few of the hi-hats from various iterations of each. My very favorite bass drum pedal is the late edition of Swivomatic that uses the Supreme clamping system to the bass drum hoop. My very favorite Swivomatic hi-hat is the swan leg version. Here's a snapshot of my 1966 Rogers Top Hat set with those pedals and my precious leg lamp. I know...the picture is leaning to the right. But, it serves the purpose of showing what I'm writing about. By the way, The Silver Sparkle set of bass drum and three toms is for sale right now. Please send me a message if you're interested in buying them.

No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.
Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here