Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Help identifying age/valuing drum kit

I first posted this in 2010, but life got in the way of pursuing it. So, here we go again! I would like some help identifying and placing a value on drums and hardware that my husband is selling. He played for a number of years, a couple of our kids took it up, and now the poor drums sit VERY lonely and forlorn waiting to be played again. What I know is this: they are Premier drums made in England, all but the snare are black enamel with chrome hardware, which has minor pitting which can be refinished, and unfinished wood interiors. There is a bass drum, a floor tom, and two mounted toms. The snare body is chrome, and is 14"; the snare is made up of two sets of individually-tunable wires (with set screws), as well as the whole unit being adjustable. There are 12 wires on each set for a total of 24 wires, there are only five intact wires left (it needs new snares, obviously!). All the hardware is Ludwig, except the snare stand which is Premier. The bass pedal is a Ludwig Speed King, and the throne is a Rogers heavy-duty (in need of reupholstering). The cymbals are all Zildjian, and there are a crash, a mini cup ride, and high-hat cymbals; there is also a cow bell. The logo on the drums puts it in the late 60's or 70's somewhere, I think. My husband got them used in the early 1970's, after coming home from Vietnam. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

3 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

looks to be an early 70s B303 (if the bass is 22") or a 303 (20" bass). Should be all standard international sizes which is good. Looks like it's missing a tone control or two but should be a fairly easy refurbishment. It may have mahogany shells too. The snare is a 2000 model and aluminum. Wires are difficult to find but I think Nick Hopkins in England may be having some made. Black is not going to be a terribly sought after vintage color but Keith Moon did play a black Premier kit for a while.

Value: I'm in New Zealand (vintage stuff is usually more expensive although Premier gear is fairly common) and over here that kit would fetch the equivalent of $300usd without the cymbals. Hope that helps

1 attachments
Andrew

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz
Posted on 8 years ago

I would say under $500. Great kit that doesn't get too much respect, unfortunately, like Ludwig and Gretsch. And please thank your husband for serving our country way back when :)

The greatest gift you can give your family and the world is a healthy you. - Joyce Meyer
Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks, Larry. I'm still trying to get these sold, but figured now would be a good time, as Christmas is a' comin'. I'll thank my hubby from you for your service - you're very kind!

Posted on 7 years ago

In my area I have seen early to late 70's Premiere kits go for 350.00 to 400.00 for a bass drum two mounted toms and a floor tom.

Nice quality drums for sure,they just don't bring as much money as American brands of the same era.

Posted on 7 years ago

Thank you for the input. My husband paid $1,000 back in 1970 for the basic kit used - the cymbals are newer (80's?). Funny what increases in value and what doesn't. I appreciate your recommendation!

Posted on 7 years ago

Hello,

I am seriously interested in the cymbals only (but my location is Germany).

If you are willing to make an overseas dispatch we should email.

Mine you can find under 'contact' on my website below (don't like to make it open frankly in any forum).

Thanks, Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 7 years ago

Hi, Ralf!

I'll try to sell the whole kit first, then let you know if I decide to sell it piecemeal. Thanks for the offer - I'll keep it in mind.

Posted on 7 years ago

Hi there,

Guess, you'll get more if you separate drums and cymbals (especially if the cymbals are what I'm really looking for ... but that has to be proved with detailed pictures first.)

It's up to you!

Cheers, Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 7 years ago

Id take the drums minus snare off yr hands for

$250 cash. I need better pics and condition as well as sizes. How is the chrome? Any extra holes and anything missing? Thx! Jules

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here