Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

Help Identify This Marching Drum

Below is a Pic:

Made in England /Rose Morris Clansman

Posted on 14 years ago

Rose Morris was a distributor of musical instruments in London back in the day. Looks to me like a John Grey Broadway marching drum or possibly a Premier marching drum....but I'm leaning more towards the John Grey.......

Posted on 14 years ago

Hi,

That is a pipe band drum. It is probably late 60's or early 70's. It was made before the Kevlar batter head became really popular, and this style of drum fell out of favour (and parts since they kind of imploded/exploded under the higher tensions that were applied with the Kevlar heads.

Here is a link that gives you at least a starting point for history:

http://www.flintpercussion.co.uk/history5.html

Other pipe band snares at that (Carlton, Premier) had snares both on the reso head and beneath the batter. It looks as though yours has those controls as well. Can you provide any interior shots? It would be neat to see the snare mechanisms, and how they differed from the Premier Flobeam and top snare set up.

There is not a lot of info on these old snare drums on the web. The pipe bands moved on ages ago. Individual interest hasn't dried up, they can be a lot of fun to play, but bands tend to buy job lots from current inventory.

I just picked up a Premier from the same period, auction pic attached. Parts are around, but not as common as kit drum parts from the era.

I hope that helps get the ball rolling.

Patrick

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here