Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.65762%

help identify snare

this is my great grandfathers snare drum. he played in a pipeband in canadian military early 1900's. brass shell, 16 x 6, eight tension lugs. the snare is missing as well as the bottom head. hoops are wood and the top head is calfskin. if any one has an idea of origin it would be helpful. my father as a boy remembers him playing the drum in parades in niagara falls, NY.

i could not find any markings on the drum.

also does anyone think i should restore this drum or leave as is?

[Attachment: 4384]

[Attachment: 4385]

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="Sienna"]Jeez......I dunno if anyone here is gonna be able to pull this off. That's a pretty ancient drum.....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

These were usually student level or toy type snare drums. I have seen enough to know that they are not worth much money.

Probably $100 or less.

If restoration is a general cleaning, then I would do that, but otherwise I would just leave it alone.

Many of the early makers had similar models. You can see a very close version in the Excelsior catalog pages.

I think if we searched on the catalog pages, we could find an even closer match to that drum.

It is worth more to you as your grandfathers drum then anything else. They just are not playable to today's standards.

David

Posted on 15 years ago

[Attachment: 4392]thanx for the info. it would make sense that it is a lower end drum. they probubly could'nt afford an expensive model. as for the value, to me it is priceless to have a little heritage since i play drums too. my pipeband snares are a 70's and 80's premier 14x 12 paralell mech. birch in black. you gus at the VDF are awesome!

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here