Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

Help Identify Ludwig Super Sensitive?

I purchased this snare today as I initially thought it was a Ludwig super sensitive without a badge, however, I just noticed the “imperial” lugs have only 2 tiers instead of 3. The throw off and butt plate also don’t have any Ludwig markings on them. I am now curious as to what I just bought. It has the batter side snare wires as well as resonant side wires. Any help identifying would be much appreciated!

Details are below:

https://www.drumforum.org/threads/help-identify-ludwig-super-sensitive.202118/

Posted on 1 year ago

Hello spenlars!

The drum in question is a Super Sensitive knockoff...and a poor one at that! I had this same drum. The snare mechanism, in all honesty, is a joke and don't expect it to work properly. The lugs, while looking like the Ludwig Imperial, have a different hole spacing. There is someone on eBay trying to sell this mechanism for big money. It's just not worth it.

I tried using the shell and lugs to make another drum, but it never sounded good at all! I still have the lugs!

I hope you didn't spend too much to acquire this drum. If you like it, that's fine. But don't expect it be a "professional" sounding, or working, snare drum.

I did notice that your drum has the other snare mechanism under the batter head. That is a cool thing. Still, I find this drum more as an example of trying to cash in on the real thing and really more of a conversation piece.

Sorry to be so direct and upfront, but I just wanted to be honest about what this drum is...and is not!

-Mark

2 attachments
Posted on 1 year ago

Hi Mark! Thank you for the candid response, I appreciate your honesty! I'm not too worried about the result of the acquisition as I only paid $10 for it! I bought it on OfferUp and when I saw the pictures I thought it was a super sensitive. Even when I briefly looked it over in person I still thought it was a true Ludwig until I brought it home and inspected it and found that a few things were off about it.haha Anyways, I might try and clean it up a bit, get the mechanisms working a little smoother, and get it tuned to the best of my ability and see where we end up. You don't happen to know the origin or make of the snare, do you?

Posted on 1 year ago

$10?!! Definitely a good deal! For that small amount of cash, you got a drum that I would certainly display and enjoy. My drum did not have that extra snare mechanism under the head. That's got to be worth the $10 you paid!

And, no, I honestly can't say who made this drum. Like yours, mine also had no identifying marks. By all means, get it cleaned up and adjusted as best possible and post some pictures. We all love to see pictures of out-of-the-ordinary drums!

-Mark

Posted on 1 year ago
Action Another action Something else here