Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Help identifing Pearl Snare

Hello all,

Can anyone give me some more info on this Pearl snare? All I've been able to find out is, it appears to be from the 50's, by the badge style.

It is 14" X 5.5" wood shell with a red/black tiger stripe wrap.

I'm curious as to the type of wood, and of course, what would it be worth?

I just put on new heads and cleaned it all up. Sounds and looks great for a 50 year old snare!!!

Thanks!

2 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Go to the Pearl company website and find the "history" section, there are old catalogues there (or there used to be). Pearl wasn't in existence in the '50's. They didn't start calling themselves, and badging their drums, 'Pearl' until the late '60's. That drum is a late '60's. ;)

Absolutely AWESOME wrap color, BTW....

Is it a thin shell with reinforcing rings, or a thick shell stained grey on the interior ? Those were the 2 kinds of shells they used back then. The wood was Luan...not great stuff. I usually redo the bearing edges on these sorta shells, cut them at a sharper edge than the typical roundover profile which came out of the factory. Then I go a heavy batter head, like an Emperor coated or Powerstroke 3 coated or such.

Typically a snare like this would only fetch about $60-75. But because of the wrap color and style (cannot get that wrap reproduced anywhere today) she could possibly fetch up over $100-125 on eFlay...[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here