Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.05637%

Help ID??

Hi Everyone,

I just picked up a Blue Sparkle MIJ kit off of CL for $75.00. 20x14 kick, 12x8 tom and a 16x14 floor tom. There are no badges but some of the hardware on the drums have made in japan inscribed. All of the drums appear to be in original condition with no extra holes. No re-rings in any of the drums. The drums look great with little to no pitting and minimal scratches. Any idea of the company and year? I am assuming it might be a catalog drum (sears etc) but wanted to see what you all thought of it. I have a vintage acrolite snare and some old hardware to go with it. Im curious to see what they sound like tuned up. Thanks.

Dave

3 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

Nice looking kit, seems to be in good shape. have to say I'm stumped on ID though. Don't recognize lugs, and the bass hoop inlay is very wide. Have had a number of MIJ kits myself, but not one quite like this. Looks to be probably late 60s in my estimation. Jonnistix would probably be your best ID man on this one I would think. Nice score.

LOGOS - Vinyl Bass Drum Brand Logo Decals
http://www.ebay.ca/usr/barrhavendrum...p2047675.l2559

Barrhaven Drum Guy
Posted on 12 years ago

Good looking set you have.Your set is made by Pearl late 60's..As far as badge'd most likey it had "sticker" badges on it at one time hard to give a name Pearl used over 50 names on sets like this..Why you may ask Pearl the lugs-{if you remove a lug most likey it will say Pearl on the inside of the lug}- and the muffler knob on tom are Pearl made.On the bass drum you have the wrong claws but they are Pearl but you would fine these on the top of the line sets Pearl,Pearl Wood-Fiberglass shell sets and the Fibeglass shell sets...Mikey

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks guys for the help. I really like the Blue Sparkle wrap and want to try and gig these drums some day. I hope they are versatile enough for heavier genre's of music.

Posted on 12 years ago

Be keen to see pics of shell interiors. It has been suggested on this forum, that you might want to consider lacquering the interiors, (especially if you're considering gigging) as the luan, MIJ shells are porous, and not as sturdy. Check if it's raw wood, or painted inside. Still not sure of hardware being Pearl as MIKEY777 stated - have some Pearl stencils myself, with either Slingerland style lugs, or 'battleship' lugs. Wasn't aware of other styles in this period. These look more Gretsch inspired to me, from what I can tell from photos. Check this forum for other helpful tips on getting this kit up, and running. Should sound good with right heads and tuning. Have fun with it.

LOGOS - Vinyl Bass Drum Brand Logo Decals
http://www.ebay.ca/usr/barrhavendrum...p2047675.l2559

Barrhaven Drum Guy
Posted on 12 years ago

If that was the kit in Vienna, the seller is a really good guy.

I agree it was likely a stencil kit made by Pearl.

If there happens to have been an extra tom arm with the kit I would gladly buy it off you to use with my TorDor kit. The rack toms on mine look like Luan, but the bass and floor toms had better looking wood. Mine has metal hoops, but I prefer the look of your wooden hoops.

Posted on 12 years ago

Yup. Bought the kit from Greg in Vienna. Sorry I do not have an extra Tom arm. This kit has a different type of wood for the mounted Tom as compared to the Bass drum and Floor Tom. I tuned them up a bit today and they sound pretty good. I hit hard and I hope that Tom arm holds up. It takes a bit getting used too. Thanks for the replies.

Dave

Posted on 12 years ago

From ConvertedLudwigPLayer

If that was the kit in Vienna, the seller is a really good guy.I agree it was likely a stencil kit made by Pearl. If there happens to have been an extra tom arm with the kit I would gladly buy it off you to use with my TorDor kit. The rack toms on mine look like Luan, but the bass and floor toms had better looking wood. Mine has metal hoops, but I prefer the look of your wooden hoops.

Hi, I have these tom mount arms also complete tom mount that goes onto the rail mount..P/M if you like...Mikey

Posted on 12 years ago

The interiors of some of the floor and bass drums around this time had a maple veneer. Not the mounted toms, just the floor and bass. Not sure why, but I've had a couple of these types of shells, with different lugs on each kit. The mounted tom may well benefit and match a little closer sonically if you sand the interior to 100 grit and then brush on 2-4 coats of LACQUER, not polyurethane. Poly is cheaper, but you are basically using plastic and lacquer is a more natural product, working better and more naturally with the wood, whereas poly will lend a plastic tone to the wood.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks for the tip. I have noticed a difference in the tone of the Mounted Tom compared to the floor Tom. The mounted Tom has a grainy texture as compared to the other drums, hence the maple veneer. I just picked up a powerstroke 3 for the kick. I hope to get a little more low end out of the bass drum. Do any you guys gig with this type of set up playing rock?

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here