Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Help ID this Ludwig! 58-59?

Ludwig snare, assumedly from 58'-59' because of the "transitional era" Keystone badge. 16 lugs. According to the info given, it is 14 inches.

http://www.musicgoroundbackstage.com/images/inventory_small/40105_u24363.JPG

Can anyone tell me more about this drum?

Also, I think it's brother is this bass drum...

http://www.musicgoroundbackstage.com/images/inventory_small/40105_u24362.JPG

25", same lugs and finish. Any info about these is appreciated as they may be mine in the next week.

-Sweats

Posted on 18 years ago

Both look like marching drums and the snare looks to have a Ludwig transition badge which was on drums for a short time as you stated.

Are you going to use these drums to set up a kit or for parts??

I would not spend a bunch of $$$ since the marching stuff does not

bring big dollars.

The snare is probably between $75 and $100 and the bass maybe

$100 to $150.

Of course the parts are another story and it is something I mention only so that you know marching drums are great parts drums, but I hate to see any good drum get stripped down for parts.

The last drum I stripped was a marching drum that had a cracked shell.

I'm not sure if you have a specific question like model or something

David

Posted on 18 years ago

well would it be blasphemy (or stupidity) to attempt to incorporate the bass into a drum kit? does the marching drum aspect kill any usability from a kick pedal? mostly i was hoping to purchase a big old bass and have that huge sound in my set. the fact that they're vintage Ludwigs makes the idea that much more appealing. any idea what woods would have been used?

once again, blasphemy or stupidity in trying to use the snare in a kit, all size issues aside?

thank you VERY much. this has been invaluable to me.

-Sweats

Posted on 18 years ago

Not at all, the big bass drum era is starting to resurface and has been for awhile. I remember looking through a Modern Drummer and seeing many of the young "cats" having some serious bass drums.

To each his own!! The bass drum started that way for the set player so it is only natural to return.

In regards to the snare, you would just need a low stand and I have seen players with deep snare drums.

If the sound is what you like and it fits the music then go for it.

David

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here