Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

help I.D. these drums- I'm assuming they're MIJ

These drums were saved from someone who was gonna trash them, he saw them as garbage. I got a buncha stuff from him, but here is the first batch I have for you guys to help me identify....

The floor tom is toast- 2 of the lugs pulled through the wood leaving bigger holes than the washers that were on the inside of the drum. The drum is cracked up, and the red sparkle wrap is cracked and ready to fall off. Has a muffler inside, and a cloth piece under the top hoop (has an old Ludwig head on it, can't be original) i'm guessing as a dampener. 14x14. Has two legs which i'm not sure are original to the drum.

Snare drum is pretty beat. It's just the shell, no hardware what so ever. Red sparkle is cracked up. Is round for the most part, if hoops were put on I'd be it could be coaxed round again.

No badges on either. Definitely came from the same kit. Wood is very cheap, i could crush each drum with my hands.

Just trying to I.D. so i could use to maybe trade down road for some old Yamaha parts i'm looking for. (the floor tom hardware and hoop, and the snare shell may be salvagable) I think i'll eventually give the floor tom shell away if anyone wants it, (just pay shipping) I know some of you are crafty and could cut the bottom of the drum and redrill holes and do something with it.

If you need more pics let me know. I took a few here real quick. I'm leaving for work so i can't post more for a day or two.

5 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

Hi,

It appears to be one of the earlier Star's. There was a time when they built those center lugs for floor and rack toms. Also the bracket for the floor tom legs was used by Star for a certain time.

Could be fun doing a restoring job (and learning a lot about it) with these drums. Otherwise it doesn't make sense to bring them back to life again.

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 13 years ago

Thank, Ralf. I appreciate the help. Old Star's, huh?

Wish they were in better shape, but man they are beat! Especially the floor tom. At least the lugs and such are intact.

Thanks again, time to post another batch of "trash" I got from that guy.

Posted on 13 years ago

I think I have to disagree with Ralf on this one. I think these are early Pearl made drums. The lugs look like Pearl's version of the Soundking design and the muffler adjustment looks like a Pearl design, too. Try taking off one of the lugs and see if it says "PEARL" inside.

Oh, and if a sized standard tension rod fits into the lug inserts, that would be another nod toward a Pearl make. I think Star only used metric rods/inserts.

I think at one time or another those type of floor tom leg mounts were used by both Star and Pearl.

Anyway, regardless of the manufacturer, they should be saved if possible. They likely feel very flimsy because they are a thin 3 ply. They might sound great if restored properly.

Posted on 13 years ago

cn679 seems to nail it.

I agree concerning the damper knob (which I've overlooked) - I have never seen it at Star's. Maybe that Pearl and Star used nearly the same hardware parts (as e.g. floor tom leg brackets/ lugs) for a certain time.

And I'm definitely not familiar with Pearl's at all.

Sorry if I've made a red herring.

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 13 years ago

The drums are mid 60's non badge drums made by Pearl...The T-rods are metric odd size..If you re move one of the lugs it most likey will say pearl on the inside of it...Mikey

Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks guys. I took everything off the floor tom today. I think its beyond repair. Cracked wood, splintered wood, big holes where lug washes pulled through. How unfortunate.

Lugs don't say "Pearl" inside but every other Pearl floor tom I've seen is a match.

Again, thanks for the help.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here