Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

Help dating my vintage premier kit please!

Recently got hold of a vintage 5-piece with hardware. It's 20, 16, 13, 12, with 14 wood snare. What I noticed is the floor tom is actually a different drum, with the two-piece arrow-style royal lugs, the rest being the one-piece lugs. The snare is one of those with a dual control tightner on the wires, with a big rod running through the drum.

It's old, as the bass drum has a built on cymbal mount. I'm told it had a mother of pearl wrap at one time, but it's since been removed an it exists in its bare wood, though varnished state now. Sadly a couple of badges missing and some cosmetic damage, but it's a great looking little kit.

The only Serial I can find is on the 16" - 27510 . Annoyingly, that's the odd one out!

Any help with age and model very much appreciated. Pics attached.

4 attachments
Tama Superstar, 22, 22, 16, 14, 13 Desert Burst
Premier Genista, 22, 16, 13, 12 Black Lacquer
Premier Genista, 20, 14, 10 and snare Black Lacquer
Premier Resonator 22, 16, 14, 13 poly creme/black
Zickos 22, 16, 14, 13, clear acrylic and snare
Posted on 15 years ago

That was the way Premier sold their drum sets.. So if the set was together when you found it, then it is probably original.

Look at the catalog pages for Premier.

David

Posted on 15 years ago

I didn't know that! Cheers. yeah, looking at the covers you can see the lug difference. I did buy it together, so it'd probably all the same kit.

Posted on 15 years ago

Your pix are very small and don't show good details that would help date the kit properly.

A pearl type wrap but not "Mother of Pearl". White Marine Pearl, Blue Pearl or Black Pearl, I have seen Blue Pearl as well, or possibly a "Strata" type of wrap.

The lugs seem correct for a late 60's early 70's kit but, It looks like an odd older lug on the snare, I can't make it out clearly. Do all the badges have no borders on them with the "P" centered?

The cymbal mount is a retro fit of a Rogers "Swiv-o-matic" mount.

If you can take picture of:

The inside of the snare w/ the muffler showing and the paralell rod

close ups of the badges (if all the same badge only 1 pic)

close ups of the throw and butt

close up of the floor tom leg mount

close up of BD tom mount

close up of BD leg+mount

close up of BD T-rod

and if possible close up of a lug, side view

I know it's a lot of pix to take but if you really want to know this info would help.

Posted on 15 years ago

The snare drum is a very late sixites 2001 birch wood drum. Quite thin on the ground for some reason, although the metal 2000 is most common. One with the same badge appears in the 1969 brit catalogue.

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks a lot for all the info guys. I'll put more pics on if I get time, but I just wanted a general idea. Looks like it could be late 60's then. I like birch, so looking forward to giving the snare a blast!

Posted on 15 years ago

Thats right about lugs. My Premier also have a differenet looking lugs on tom and floor tom.

Is there serial number on badges? If not, they are older than 1970, that year premier start with serial number.

And wood, is it darkred mahagoney ( african mahagony) or light wood, Birtch?

How do they sound?

Camco LA-Ebony Stain-73/78?
Premier "Pre" Elite-Turquis Oyster-1969
Trixon Luxus-Red Ripple-1961
Sneres - Ludwig, Slingerland, GeoWay and so on...
Cymbals- Most K-Zildjian & Paiste 2002
(and some Pearl, Tama and so long, long time ago...)

http://groovesuperfly.webs.com/

Sorry for the delay - been away a few days!

The drums are birch, and there badge has a white border, but it's not present on the small toms or bass drum. Plus, having had difficulty fitting a replacement head to the lower floor, it could be that they're pre international sizes, which would make them 1960's? Only serial on floor - the one I mentioned - 27510, could be that the badges for the others were lost when the wrap was removed - may try to track them down? As for the sound, I've not had a good bash on them yet - strategic neighbour arrangements and all! Will let you know. Are badges hard to come by, and is this the standard snare for the kit, parallels are pretty scarce. Anyway, would appreciate more comments, and will try to post the close-ups!

Posted on 15 years ago

Badge with a border and badges with no border or no badge at all?

If your FT measures 15 5/8" it would be pre-int size, you may want to measure the small tom (pre-int size 11 5/8) and your BD (21 5/8) as well, snare should be 14". The "5/8" would be pre-int sizes. I have a recient post with Remo pre-int size Emperor numbers listed if you'd like to order them.

If the SmT and BD are the 5/8 sizes as well then yes, your kit would be pre 1965/66 or so, possibly earlier, unless you have shell with badges that have no borders then those would be after 1965/67 and standard sizes for heads.

If you can snap a few more pics of hardware (lugs, throws, etc) I can give you more info.

Posted on 15 years ago

Hi, here are some close up images - hope they help dating! I'll attach more in next post.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here