Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

help choosing a Rogers kit

Hi folks,

Hoping I might get some help choosing a vintage Rogers kit. My priorities are getting a great sounding, smallish kit (20" kick, etc), with solid/reliable hardware. I'm less interested in collectability/authenticity, and don't mind if it's a bit scratched up.

This 1975 Headliner Four seems pretty interesting. I know it's not the most desirable among Rogers lovers, but love the color and the solid-seeming hardware.

This 60s Londoner Kit is also appealing. I'm concerned though about the hardware, including "cracked collets".

So, would love to hear any thoughts on how these kits would work given my criteria.

Should I expect the 70s kit to sound in the ballpark of any classic Rogers kit? Does the beefier HW choke the drums?

How hard/expensive is it to replace the cracked collets on the 60s kit? Will the HW be solid once I do that, or will I continually be fighting drooping, etc?

Should I be worried about the condition of bearing edges and drums out of round?

Any other things I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

Posted on 1 year ago

I would jump all over the 60s kit!

Posted on 1 year ago

The 60's set should have machined collets. There were not in place until around 1972.

If someone put cast collets on the set, then replace them. Don't let the collets be the deciding factor.

Posted on 1 year ago

Thanks Amos.

They mention that the collets are cracked, and I think maybe the look cast from the photos, but ??*???

BTW, when people mention "collets", are they generally referring to this part?

[IMG]https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--_bw1ErHT--/a_0/f_auto,t_supersize/v1666197275/wbvnjbwmwlrixtmr2rod.jpg[/IMG]

or is it the the outer "nose"?

[IMG]https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--WLOb_Tv4--/f_auto,t_large/v1537369509/k34mjx8ndf0ncrp9c1gd.jpg[/IMG]

Also, any thoughts on the drooping/sliding question? With new collets will the tom stay in place reliably?

Thanks!

Posted on 1 year ago

From fustercluck

Thanks Amos.They mention that the collets are cracked, and I think maybe the look cast from the photos, but ??*??? BTW, when people mention "collets", are they generally referring to this part?or is it the the outer "nose"?[IMG]https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--WLOb_Tv4--/f_auto,t_large/v1537369509/k34mjx8ndf0ncrp9c1gd.jpg[/IMG] Also, any thoughts on the drooping/sliding question? With new collets will the tom stay in place reliably?Thanks!

The collet is just the nose part, with 2 handles in place. The picture is of the cast type. The machine type have more distinct flat (not rounded) ends.

Posted on 1 year ago

Either kit will serve you well.

The Spanish Gold kit is more unique, as 20" Big R drums are quite uncommon. SG is also uncommon. Memri-lock h/w is indestructible. Big R has a much much smaller fanbase than compared to Swivo era. My opinion is this kit is still quite overpriced at $1400.

As amos says, you just need to replace the die cast noses on the red onyx kit and you'll be good. $55-$65 each for machined repros or originals with the pat pend inscription. The wrap cracks bother me, but you're not looking for a collectible example here. On the other hand, that SG may very well be a collectible example of the era in 20 years.

Choices!

John/Levelpebble

Tama Superstar 81 Aqua bop
Rogers Cleveland BDP (x2), Silver bop, Champagne, Black/Gold Duco, WMP, Blue sparkle; Dayton Red Onyx;
Camco Oaklawn 12 14 20 5x14 Tuxedo WMP
LW 59 SC Blue Sparkle, WMP
WFL Gold Sparkle SC, WMP Compacto
Gretsch 49/50 Broadkaster WMP
Fibes Copper Forte
Remo MasterEdge Bop, Gold Crown, Mondo
Slingerland Conway Black Satin
70's MIJ Del Ray, my first and fav ok I'm lying here
Way Too Many Snares, She Says
Posted on 1 year ago

Thanks a ton LevelPebble and Amos!

What would you guess is the market rate for the Big R kit? $1k-ish?

Could you give me some sense of how well the swivomatic hardware works (with good parts)? Is it easy enough to setup and make adjustments or is it a bit balky? Does it do a good job of holding the tom in place or are you typically fighting droop/slip/sag?

Thanks!

Posted on 1 year ago

I'm not an authority or collector of Big R drums, so all I can do is WAG at the right price.

Ohio-based Rogers hardware is the best you will ever find, IF IF IF you use it correctly and as designed. DONT overtighten the noses, and they wont bind. DONT use four screws on the tom mount, even though there are four holes. Just use two, 90 degrees apart, as designed, to push the ball against the socket -> no sag, no wear.

I buy, restore, and resell Ludwig. I buy, restore, and KEEP Rogers.

John/Levelpebble

Tama Superstar 81 Aqua bop
Rogers Cleveland BDP (x2), Silver bop, Champagne, Black/Gold Duco, WMP, Blue sparkle; Dayton Red Onyx;
Camco Oaklawn 12 14 20 5x14 Tuxedo WMP
LW 59 SC Blue Sparkle, WMP
WFL Gold Sparkle SC, WMP Compacto
Gretsch 49/50 Broadkaster WMP
Fibes Copper Forte
Remo MasterEdge Bop, Gold Crown, Mondo
Slingerland Conway Black Satin
70's MIJ Del Ray, my first and fav ok I'm lying here
Way Too Many Snares, She Says
Posted on 1 year ago

Thanks so much John, that's exactly the information I was looking for.

Really appreciate all the help on this.

Posted on 1 year ago

To answer your question, if the collets don’t tighten up any more, the drum will slide off the hex bar. Or, the hex bar will not stay tight on the double tom mount. Or, you will torque them down so tightly to prevent movement that you will need a wrench to loosen them again once they are in place.

I also think those Memri-Loc drums are over-priced, but they will be less of a headache to you if you can get them at a better pricepoint.

Good luck!!

Josh

Posted on 1 year ago
Action Another action Something else here