Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.25887%

HELP! Can you identify this snare at all?

I'm trying to find a snare and found this little strange one someone. They have no idea what it is and just wondered if anyone could help me try to identify.

Looks like it has 6 lugs from the picture, unknown wood shell, a pretty strange snare mechanism and looks like premier everplay, maybe everclear heads on it? The strange thing I found was that it looks like it's free floating, so I have no idea how it'd tune etc. It has no badge or markings on the shell but thought someone may have seen it before. Here's the links to the 5 pics I have. (apologies for the quality)

Posted on 15 years ago

No offense here bro but I gotta be brutally honest. That thing is butt ugly and looks like an el cheapo deluxe model with no available options on it!!!

Probably some broke school district's music class special from a bygone era.

They probably ordered a bulk amount and told them not to put anything on it that wasn't needed...i.e. a head, a couple lugs and a cheap wooden shell.

Hopefully you dont take this the wrong way:eek:

drumhack

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses then why the hell do they keep score Peg? - Al Bundy
Posted on 15 years ago

Upon further review there aren't any lugs and the tension rod looks like a piece of allthread with a nut on the end!! You tune the batter and reso heads together by simply tightening the tension rod. This may be a woodshop project by some stoner who wanted to build a drum while killing time in highschool dude. Or my original summation of a very cheaply manufactured drum for a bulk buyer who dealt with children. I really don't know much about anything so take this all with a grain of salt!!

drumhack

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses then why the hell do they keep score Peg? - Al Bundy
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Well, D'hack provided you with all the bad news...here's some good news:

From the pic, the exterior ply appears to be Mahogany....the good Mahogany, not the cheap asian Luan which they call 'Phillippine Mahogany' sometimes (which is a hella BS misnomer).

No pics of the shell interior (we'd need clearer photos than what you snapped) BUT if the interior is good wood also, you have a very nice shell there, and some hoops.

Yes, it's a old-skool style floater, meaning the top and bottom heads can only adjust to the same tension. Not very useful by today's standards. I mean, all in all, maybe worth about $50 tops, just for the shell and usable parts.

BUT...it has decent enuff hoops and an intact butt...so...if you bought some lugs and a new strainer for it from [COLOR="Red"]drummaker.com[/COLOR] or somewhere (cost of about $40+ shippin', total) and are handy with a drill...you can make a decent, conventional drum out of it in no time....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

I don't recognize the drum, but I have seen similar drums. I have a couple of old "toy" snare drums that utilize a kind of free floating system, too. They don't really work for practical purposes, but they are still kinda cool in their own way.

But, the shell you have does look pretty decent. It would be nice to see some clearer pictures with more details of the insode of the shell and also details of the throwoff.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

Hi guys, sorry for the late reply. Found out through another forum what it is exactly. It's a Premier "new era" 12" snare. It was an educational model between 1970 and 1990. They were really budget obviously and not massively popular but the person selling it said they'd take £10 for it so I might get it just for the curiosity and strangeness of it, or maybe just to practice brush work or something. Definitely won't be a main use snare (got a pearl piccolo cheap) but still need a main snare! Nevermind. Cheers anyway though guys

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here