Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

HELP ABOUT 60s ROUND BADGE SET

Hi, i need your HELP. I am about to buy a 60s round badge GRETSCH set WITHOUT THE RAIL TOM HOLDER MOUNT on the drumbass and WITHOUT THE DIAMOND PLATE TOM HOLDER ON THE HIGH TOM whitch is on a snare stand. The guy that sells it says it has always been like this. HAS GRETSCH A 60s MODEL LIKE THIS or is it a fake? PLEASE ANSWER ME AS FAST AS YOU CAN. Thank you for your time. Regards.

Posted on 17 years ago

It could be legit, but it's not likely. You may want to see shots of the inside of the tom and bass, although because of the silver paint, holes could have been filled and painted over. The front head is a repro, so it's likely the seller did some "work".

You'd really need more photos and a closer inspection to see if they're original.

If they're black nitron, the current stuff available doesn't match the texture and color of the original.

Posted on 17 years ago

Thank you for your answer. The seller says that there are no holes there and there has never been any high tom holder. Says the tom is original colour but bass and high tom have been refinished. He says :

"On closer inspection, when I took the head off the bass drum to double check the ply, which is 4 ply, it would appear that no holes have been plugged and this in fact is a completely undrilled bass (virgin shell)".

How can this be true?

Posted on 17 years ago

Virgin basses do exist...they were usually part of double bass sets.

Gretsch did make some 4 ply drums, I think...but they're really rare...two ply drums also exist, but round badge Gretsch drums are usually 3 ply ('50-early '60s) and 6 ply (later).

If the set is a good deal, and you like the way they look and sound you should go for it...but as a collectible, or for re-sale, some things about it seem suspect.

Posted on 17 years ago

Virgin basses do exist.. I have a 20" slingerland bass I purchased in 1967 to make a double bass kit. Gold satin flame. Had not seen another since untill a few months ago one came up on ebay, now I have two. Yours could definately be an original. Rick

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here