Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Help! 68 slingerland--shell cracked??

So I bought a 68 green sparkle slingerland snare for 100 bucks..its a 6-lug without the original strainer--firstly--did i get ripped off? Second, I took it apart and it looks like there are cracks in the first ply of the maple. theyre long and they run for inchs around the whole drum. Am i screwed? What do I do? I just want this to sound good I dont care about value but I thought that cracks really do affect the sound. Thanks for any help

Posted on 17 years ago

Throw on new heads, crank it up and see what you have. Have another drummer play it and stand on the other side of the room and you'll know whether or not you have a problem.

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/sabshga/

http://www.myspace.com/garysabshon

Posted on 17 years ago

well--it needs a new strainer because this one is barely functional--plus I just realized it has extra holes--people are idiots. What are some things for me to listen for? This drum has those neat maple reinforcment hoops too--i dunno im hoping it will sound good..

Posted on 17 years ago

Green sparkle is a rare color for slingerlands, correct me if Im wrong. I havnt seen many except one snare that was all original in pristine condition that I think went for 300-500. I forget sorry. So I would venture to say that if the sound is good on this snare you didnt get ripped off.

Harrison
Posted on 17 years ago

Post some pictures too mate.

Harrison
Posted on 17 years ago

Sure! Ill get some pics up tonight! I agree that green sparkle is a less common color, however, remember this is a 6-lug snare..which if im not mistaken is not very desirable right? Pics to be up soon!!

Posted on 17 years ago

Well I will have to go with TommyP's philosphy here. You have to find "your buyer" if your selling something. I mean if I was a green sparkle nut looking for a nice 60's slingerland with 6 lugs I would definetely dish out some money for it. But if Im looking for a 6 lug BDP Slingy snare chances are id have a go for it but wouldnt break the bank. So it just depends on the right buyer. Some people like 6 lugs some like 8 it all depends.

Harrison
Posted on 17 years ago

Yea thats totally the way to look at it. I'm not trying to sell this snare at all--I just want to make sure I have something that will sound good/do its job. What would you say the sound difference is between a 6 and an 8? Any at all? Thanks for the input! Ill put up some pics if you guys want. --colt

Posted on 17 years ago

Others may have different experience than me but more lugs hold the tuning better. Some will say more lugs give you a more precision tuning in the first place. My experience is that unless a drum is broken, anyone can be made to sound interesting and potentially useful. I have a 6 lug single tension round badge gretsch (single tension meaning the t-rod goes though a hoop claw on the batter side rim and threads into a claw on the snare side rim). Now that is limiting with respect to your ability to differentiate between top and bottom head tension. But you know what, the drum is totally playable and gig worthy. It has a certain mushy buzziness that I get off on and allows me to create sort of a sheet of sound when I'm doing busy stuff between the hat and the snare. So go figure. I guess you'd call this a student model budget drum, but it has it's own vibe.

Regards,

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/sabshga/

http://www.myspace.com/garysabshon

Posted on 17 years ago

Yea, I understand. So mine would be sorta the student model drum as well. I just hope it has a nice vintage woody tone is all! I dont even play drums--im just buying all this drum gear for my band--and our drummer has since left us. haha oh man--ive just become obsessed with drums and totally wish i were a drummer-- Thanks for the great response! here are some pics:ps they dont do the green sparkle justice..

3 attachments
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here