Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

hello friends, i,m writing from spain I like vintage drums and I´m thinking of buying this vintage Premier:

I want to know what wood is it, in the picture it seems rather dark (mahogany?)

and if anybody knows how these drums sound

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

Welcome to the forum

Kevin
Posted on 15 years ago

Hello from me as well,

The old ('vintage') Premier are becoming IMHO more and more interesting for vintage fans. Premier is a company with a great history and I don't think that you are going wrong with buying this set (it appears to be in great shape) - unless the price is higher than approx. EUR 400 (would be my best guess).

I don't know the sound of these elder Premier drums (but my Premier 2000 snare drum is second to none in sound ...!).

Greetings - Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 15 years ago

thanks for the reply Ralf, I think the old premiers are very interesting especially for the good prices they have on the second hand market, I do not understand what it's like to be of similar quality to other brands of the same era are so cheap, there is some reason for this?

Posted on 15 years ago

I guess, Premier is/ was not very common on the continental Europe, and if you could buy it, it was very expensive always.

Furtheron, in the 70s/ 80s we drummers here IMHO were looking more to Japan (TAMA, Pearl), America (Ludwig) and Germany (Sonor). British was not 'up to date', although the music was itself was it. Maybe that Premier also failed to do a good marketing/ endorsement job at that time (I only know two drummers playing Premier: Keith Moon and Cozy Powell).

---

Here are two interesting pages with Premier for you:

www.vintprem.moonfruit.com

and my favourite standard link:

www.drumarchive.com

The Premier quality itself (shells, chrome finish, wrap, hardware) was always excellent, as far as I know.

Greetings - Ralf (from Germany)

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 15 years ago

My guess would be that the dark colored wood is beech -very common in English made wooden items.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Maybe beech but likely birch...those are NICE drums. For some reason, even on this side of the pond (US) the '60's Premiers don't get tons of attention...a Ludwig or Slingerland of similar vintage will sell for more....But I agree, they are great sounding drums, beautiful shells, beautiful edges, nice wraps, good hardware.

Nothing negative to say about the older Premiers (or Olympics for that matter).

Their wood species gives them a nice, low-end resonance. The only thing I would say is, if you are a heavy hitter, the thin shells might not produce the sort of volume and attack a rock drummer is used to. But only if you really wail on your drums.....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

I play pretty hard, actually, my band plays a mix of rock, punk,and new orleans funk ((Bermeo (Bizkaia) Spain) style ja ja,but I also got an old Slingerland 68 with thin shells and I love its sound.

I am also considering purchasing a Premier 2000 snare drum I've seen a very good price. what do you think of this snare drum?

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here