Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Hello

Hello Everyone,

I am a new member and wanted to send a mail to introduce myself. I have been playing drums since 1974. It doesn't seem possible, but it is true. I have taught at a local fine arts institute and absolutely loved it!!! I taught ages 5 to adult. I am not currently teaching and really miss it. Recently I have been contemplating buying and selling drums and drum kits. I have bought and sold some through the years, but little to speak of. I would like to check out the possibility of buying to sell on a fairly consistent basis. Does anyone have any advice or thoughts you would like to pass along? Also, I now have a vintage Ludwig snare I would like to sell and would like to find out more about it and what it may be worth. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Southpoly

Posted on 17 years ago

Good to have you on the forum!

Buying and selling vintage drums is a tough business. You would really need to be well established and have a variety of sources to keep any type of inventory.

Not to say it is not possible, but the vintage drum business, now that Ebay is in place, is not what it used to be.

The majority of vintage dealers also sell new gear and have other avenues for revenue.

The vintage people that I know usually have a day job and keep the vintage drums as the hobby.

I can only think of 3 or 4 true vintage drum dealers (with a web site and or store front), but they all also sell new drum gear as well.

Let us see the snare drum and then we can help with the value.

David

Webmaster

Posted on 17 years ago

David,

Thanks for your thoughts on my post. I will get some pics up on the snare.

Have a great day

Southpoly

Posted on 17 years ago

This Ludwig snare has been a "head scratcher" for me. It appears to be about a 1976 5" X14" concert snare. It is in VG/EXT condition. The serial number is 1,252,041. It has a blue/olive badge. Here is where it gets interesting. The entire snare assembly appears to be from a marching snare drum from the 1960's or earlier. It is marked with a WFL on the snare take off. The shell appears to be aluminum with a blue metallic exterior fininsh. Is this drum from the factory like this, or did someone modify it? Either way, I am selling this for a friend. How do I price a piece like this? If you need more info., let me know. I had an additional pic of the snare let off, but the file size was too big to download. If you need to see it, Let me know.

Thanks

Southpoly

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here