Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Hello - Vintage Gretsch in NY

Hello everybody,

I am a new member from France. I will be visiting New York from January 6th to 13th 2008 and looking for vintage gretsch drums. Could you please indicate where to go ?

Thanks

Posted on 16 years ago

There's not much left in NYC of conventional vintage drum shops - ebay has taken most of that business.

Sam Ash on W 48th (I think) and the one straight over the street (whose name escapes me right now) would be your best bets. Drummer's World which is on 45th I think on the third floor is worth a look as a just generally good drum shop but not much in the way of vintage.

I don't think you'll find much Gretsch but there was an OK maple finish 70s Slingerland in Ash's a couple of months back, I thin. Prices in the shops are silly though.

You'd be better of finding something appropriate on ebay before you travel, buy just before you hit town and get it shipped to your hotel or wherever it is you are staying or do a pick-up if it's somewhere in the greater New York area - I've done this a couple of times now with great success.

And if you can pack them like Russian dolls (buy a screwdriver set), they'll actually just make it into your luggage allowance (flights from the US allow you about double of what is standard in Europe). A bit of innocence when you arrive back in France with customs officials and you just might get away with no duty and no shipping.

Cheers,

David

Posted on 16 years ago

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1960s-GRETSCH-Progressive-JAZZ-ROUND-BADGE-DRUM-SET_W0QQitemZ250200709864QQihZ015QQcategoryZ64439QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just checked through to see what was around and saw this - would work out at around 3000 Euro. These are being sold by Cherie Willoughby who has a very nice (and extremely expensive) vintage drum business based in upstate New York. She has her fand and her detractors but if you are prepared to pay top price (given how weak the US dollar still is) but be guaranteed of getting something astounding while you are there, this could be a good bet. I think the name of her company is Repercussions. even on ebay a round badge set like this is going to be up around the 3000 USD mark anyway.

Good luck.

DR

Posted on 16 years ago

ANTIPODES:

Hello, David. I follow your comments and recommendations very closely since you seem to have a great deal of information regarding vintage drums. I appreciate your input!

You mentioned that a Round Badge Gretsch kit will probably bring around $3,000.00 on e-Bay and I'm wondering why? The reason I ask is that I've read countless articles and posts, stating that the Gretsch Snare Drums were some of the worst sounding drums produced in the 60s era. I also see auctions for Gretsch Kits with "reserves" set quite high, but most of these listings never end in a completed transaction. Obviously we can't estimate value on "asking prices" but rather "historical prices paid", at least in my opinion (which is obviously EXTREMELY limited compared to others on this forum).

I'd just like to get your feedback on the subject if you've got a few minutes. Also............ I never understood why some of the round Gretsch Badges have the "acorn" on them, while others don't. Was this used during a very limited time period of Gretsch production?

THANKS in advance for your time and, hopefully, feedback.

Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

Hello everybody,I am a new member from France. I will be visiting New York from January 6th to 13th 2008 and looking for vintage gretsch drums. Could you please indicate where to go ?Thanks

Here's one that's not as expensive

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Gretsch-1960s-round-badge-4pc-kit_W0QQitemZ120203187338QQihZ002QQcategoryZ64439QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Posted on 16 years ago

pdesroc - I live in NYC and have a vintage round badge Gretsch Name Band kit for sale. It is Midnight Blue Pearl, and has the matching Name Band snare, same finish and sizes as appeared in the 60's Gretsch catalog. It has the original front logo calf head and cymbal L-arm. If interested send me a pm...I've shipped a few sets to France, and I can even help you out by packing them and going with you to the Post Office.

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 16 years ago

"You mentioned that a Round Badge Gretsch kit will probably bring around $3,000.00 on e-Bay and I'm wondering why?"

Hi Oldschool,

Thanks for the compliment.

I'm in no way a Gretsch expert - I only ever owned a stop sign 6 1/2" deep wooden snare back in the early 80's and I could never get it to sound any good (not an uncommon problem apparently but I'm not going to open up that old wound).

The pricing comment was based pretty much on what I've noted on ebay and seen on the forums. Round badge Gretsches bop kits have a "holy grail" factor which seems to override if they are really twice as good (basing this comment on prices) as other drums from the era.

Me, I'm a Camco guy (and the Oaklawn jazz kits hit similarly high prices if mint) but I kind of hanker after a Gretsch round badge kit too - just to say I have one. And there you might have the answer to the question.

Regards,

David

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here