Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Hello, Slingerland newbie!

Hello,

Yesterday someone gave me a Slingerland drumset. I am thrilled! I am ecstatic to say the least. On a scale from 1 to 10 I would say the condition is at about a 3. I would like to restore this set to playable condition. I have already looked into authentic vintage Slingerland parts and I think I will stick to repro's. So let the fun begin!

I believe this is the set here.

#1 - Floor tom mounts. 2 of the floor tom mounts are missing. I have measured the holes and they seem to be 2 7/16 from center to center. Does this sound correct and where can I get repro's or reasonable facsimiles?

#2 - It looks I have 2 different types of double tom mounts. One looks serviceable and the other one looks like it needs l bars?

#3 - am I missing a tom?

I am going to thouroughly enjoy rebuilding this kit and hope I can get some help from people enjoy this also.

Here are a few more pics...

Thanks in advance!

Bill

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Welcome and congrats on your kit...you now own a classic.

Hard to tell from the catalog cuts you gave what the condition of your kit really is.

Can you take some pics of the actual kit and post them here ?

Drummaker.com is probably your best bet for replacement generic parts. It sounds like you MAY need to get some vintage parts from what you descrivbe, however...in which case eBay is (fortunately or unfortunately) the plae you'd need to go....

I am a Slingy buff myself...I look forward to the pics....The Band[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

here are some pics,,, I've begun to clean the chrome with vinegar. It's cleaning up pretty nicely. I think I'm going to take some steel wool and clean up the natural finish. I don't need to get it perfect, just presentable for now.

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Not bad, not bad. May eventually be a good candidate for a wrap job...or a sand and refinish job.

For the chrome snare, vinegar is fine and a good start. For the chrome hoops and tom arm mounts and mount plates and those parts, I suggest steel wool 000 or 0000. I would also suggest that for the lugs, but I will be swooped down upon by most who will shout NO ! So...

I didn't suggest steel wool for the lugs. Someone suggests something else.

You need a new set-o-matic tom mount plate for that broken one. Those are on eBay and are readily available for cheap. Easy to replace

You need a couple of tom arms for the tom arm socket. A pair of singles. those are also on eBay but aren't al that cheap. About $40/ea.

When it comes to set-o-matic hardware, you kinda need to replace with set-o-matic hardware. I mean, if you replaced with generic, you'd have to start messing with the holes, and that's something to really avoid as it starts to make the value of the set nosedive.

Now, like this condition, with the snare....the set is maybe worth about $250-350. After a cleanup and replacement of the tom mount pieces, closer to 500.

With a refinish or wrap job, it would get up to about $800-900.

Not higher because the toms are "concert toms" (i.e. no bottom heads).

Nevertheless, for free...I'll take it. And it will be a fun restoration project !

Cool ![/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

What should I use to clean up the wood?

Posted on 15 years ago

Hey! Welcome and nice stuff. I would sand, stain, and apply a hardwax oil to the outside and inside. It would give it that old vintage look without the shiny finish of the clear coat. Hardwax oil is tough tough tough and will take the hits. It's what's used on commercial high traffic floors. It's great for old vintage natural wood kits. The difficult part of this job is going to be the sanding. That outer layer is thin and you've got some nice dings in it. So, be very careful when you sand. Don't take too much off. With that being said...I love a wrap. JamminSams is the man when it comes to authentic wraps. Check his sight out. Later and good luck. Nice kit.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]mc...is carnuba wax a "hard wax" or do you mean something more specific ?[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

No. It's a Hard Wax Oil. Here's a good site to pick it up.

http://ecohaus.com/P-0493054075/Osmo+Polyx+Hard+Wax+Oil+75+Liter+(%233054)

Check it out. Nice...very nice stuff.

Posted on 15 years ago

L[COLOR="Indigo"]ooks interesting...have you ever used it on naked shells, or just ones which were already lacquered ? Does it have a color hue to it, or is it basically clear/golden ?

How tough is it ? Can it become water-stained easily ?[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Yes. I've used it several times. It comes clear but you can get it colored. The site has the info on all that. I can say without reservation...it is the BEST stuff I've ever put on shells. I have used it on the outside, on the hoops, and on the inside of shells. When applied and dried, it has a very smooth, almost Yamaha Vintage look and feel to it. It doesn't yellow, though. If you add a bit of color to it, you could achieve that, I would think. It does not dry clear. It has a handwax look. It is amazing stuff. When I applied it to the inside of the shells, it added a touch of nice sustain to the toms and bass. It might be worth it to get a sample bottle and do a small job just to check it out and see if it's for you. I love the stuff.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here