Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Hello, newbie from North Carolina

Hello all,

Love the site, been reading a bunch but this is my first post. I have been playing drums for nearly 30 years now. I have had several great sets in those years consisting of a early 60's Gretsch, 66 Ludwigs and Slingerlands. Wish I had all of those sets today but they are long gone. My 7 year old daughter bought a set of electronic drums with her Christmas money and is showing potential, great to see. I just purchased a mid 80's Yamaha Recording Custom 14x6.5 seamless metal snare on Craigslist for $25. The guy didn't know what he was selling and I really didn't know what I purchased until it showed up. The chrome on the shell is in rough shape but based on my conversation with the drum manager at Yamaha, he said it is worth the investment to revive this great snare. I got lucky and purchased all new lugs for it on eBay, I think I purchased some of of the last OEM ones out there, Yamaha doesn't make them anymore. Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and I look forward to posting and receiving lots of great info from you.

Rich

Waxhaw, NC

3 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Welcome Rich. It seems that you might have started another thread lamenting great kits that we let get away.

Enjoy the Yamaha snare and let us know about your other finds......but don't rub in the low prices you're paying.

Posted on 14 years ago

I got lucky on this one to be honest. I bought it for my 7 year old daughter so she had a dedicated snare to practice on, want her to start off by learning to read music. I figured for $25 I couldn't go wrong. He sent me a few pictures but I still couldn't tell what it was until it showed up today and I did some research on the model number, followed by a conversation with Yamaha. This is my snare now, I will have to get her another one.

I am going to have the shell re-chromed. I know a guy that has a plating company so it won't be that bad on price. I have to remove the badge and then he will dip the shell to strip off the old coating and then re-chrome it. Based on the quality of work he does, it will look better than it did new from Yamaha.

Posted on 14 years ago

Greetings Rich from Waxhaw!!

I'm on the other side of Charlotte from you in Hickory.

Kevin

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

From Stallwart

Welcome Rich. It seems that you might have started another thread lamenting great kits that we let get away.Enjoy the Yamaha snare and let us know about your other finds......but don't rub in the low prices you're paying.

Mcjnic started a thread on this very topic!! Here it is.....http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=10929

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses then why the hell do they keep score Peg? - Al Bundy
Posted on 14 years ago

Welcome to the forum Rich. I'm another newbie from NC just a little north of you in the New Salem area. This is a great place for help and info. Kevins and the other members have really helped me a lot with my 59 slingys.

John

Posted on 14 years ago

Welcome, Hi, Rich another NC Native here also in hickory, you cannot find a better place for all that is percussion, drums,etc, glad to have you, thanks, mark

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here