Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Hello. My Yamaha C-200... Jazz sound? I hope.

Hello.

This is my first post. Obviously I'm not drummer but I am looking for Jazz sound to my band.

When I saw the Yamaha drum set sale, I sought the model accord the image, no info about model. And I found you. Now I'm almost shure that is a C-200 1969 Yamaha Drum Set.

[Attachment: 29022]

This week I bought it, one of the previous owners modified the set, added a second tom (painted), removed the original suports, the floor tom had not legs (all supported with clamps), much dirt, old heads.

First I disarmed the drums to clean them, fixed few internal scratches, made the missing stickers, but the heavy work was the tom support in the bass drum.

Seeing pictures, I tried to let the set near to original, but in my country (Venezuela) is hard to make an international buy (and original like parts are expensives), so I decided to solve with local market parts. I made a tom support, that works with an articulated clamp, not the original, but works similar, and looks strong. The support (Yamaha) attached in the tom was obtained from the snare drum, now I have to cover the hole (shown in the image).

[Attachment: 29036]

I think that the set looks fine. Now I'm waiting for the drummer to adjust and test. I want to add a Paiste Alpha 18" medium ride cymbal, Previously I bought a strong Linko hihat machine with olds 101 Paiste 14" cimbals in clear bronze.

[Attachment: 29035]

Well, I hope sounds very jazzy, 14" x 20" 9 ply bass drum, 8x12" 5 ply tom, 14" x 14" floor tom, 5"x12" 6 ply wood snare (bought previously), olds germany made paiste hihat cymbals. And soon the ride.

[Attachment: 29037]

I want to record a drum session, to post in youtube.

Thanks to all Yammie vintage drums owners for your photos.:D

Sorry for my English, I'm spanish spoken and writter.

PD. This set reminds me an 50's Cadillac.

[Attachment: 29038]

Posted on 13 years ago

Welcome! Those are very nice! And good work bringing them back and making the repairs that make them look correct. Those sizes, looks like an 18" bass? Great for jazz!

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago

Pretty sure that's a sweet 20 incher (as per the OPs post, not my nitwit ability).

That kit should be a GREAT jazzer. The bass is substantial enough to boom quietly and the wing tom ply layup is perfect for a warm resonant woody tone. The floor should have a nicer deep tone, also.

You did fabulous. Enjoy!

What Would You Do
Posted on 13 years ago

That's a heck of a great job DST!

Good looking kit too! That is a fine jazz kit, and will sound great. Be sure to post a link to your YouTube upload.

fishwaltz
Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks for your comments. The drummer can't come. Soon 'll record a session.

Now how I made the stickers:

I made the stickers with a laser printer in adhesive vinyl.

First, make the bitmap, I work in .pcx cause keep the real size in black and white. jpg works in grayscale. The forum system only accept jpg...

[Attachment: 29053]

Print the design on a normal paper, to know the position. I preffer centered.

Cut a high quality vinyl piece bigger than the design.

Stores of graphic things to publicists sell 3M and others, there are many colos in this case, silver.

Put the vinyl piece in the design position, there are two ways to fix it, with adhesive plastic tape in the borders, or cutting the protective paper, just in the corners.

Print the design, be careful to the feeding position of the sheet, you can mark one layer to know how must to be feed.

Put a transparent adhesive layer to protect the fragile tonner.

Cut the borders as the original and fix it.

If you need to make an old metal engraved plate:

Cut a piece of bronze or cooper sheet and clean it.

Fix all the adhesive vinyl in paper, not just the borders, we want to use the layer to transfer tonner. Print the mirrored image in vinyl, cut the piece and with an iron (a normal one just like the mom's one), transfer to the plate.

Let cold and remove the vinyl. You can heat the piece below to fix better the tonner. Or top with a hair dryer. Complete if need with a undeleble marker.

I use Ferric Chloride to make electronics plates to engrave. You can buy it in electronic components (projects) store, like Jameco and others.

Ferric Chloride is harmless, but make indeleble spots anywhere, be careful with clothes, floor, table, pets, brother, sisters, sons and wife.

Protect the unused layer with oil paint or vinyl and submerge in liquid Ferric Chloride, USE PLASTIC OR GLASS CONTAINER, NO METAL.

Wait few minutes, tie the plate like a tea bag remove and see the process. When you see ready, out and wash the engraved plate.

The engraving procedure works with aluminium, but I canĀ“t fix the tonner in it.

1 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

Great job on those,that jazz kit has a great Vibe to it for sure,a decent drum tuner should be able to tune/dial those in for a great jazz sound.The only suggestion I could make is some pearl or gibraltar Isolation rubber feet for the Floor tom legs if you don't already have some,and you may try some wood hoops on the Bass drum if you want to warm it up a little bit,I have noticed that cheap metal hoops can harshen the sound of some kicks,I have used Sonor german metal hoops and the still brighten the sound a little,but don't sound as harsh IMO.

Posted on 13 years ago

From RogerSling

Pretty sure that's a sweet 20 incher (as per the OPs post, not my nitwit ability). That kit should be a GREAT jazzer. The bass is substantial enough to boom quietly and the wing tom ply layup is perfect for a warm resonant woody tone. The floor should have a nicer deep tone, also. You did fabulous. Enjoy!

...I can't read...I feel so ....ashamed....**pulling foot out of keyboard now sir....***do you teach idiot-servants how to read fruitfully? I have stuck my foot clean through my jaw lately.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
Posted on 13 years ago

If you decide to buy wood hoops for the bass, and I as well highly recommend you do so, use this site as they are the lowest priced, and are the same exact hoops as anyone else sells, only for half as much:

http://aitwood.com/StoreFront.Asp?WoodType=MAPLE&CATID=20&WoodPLY=10&Section=HOOP10PLY&wDesc=10%20ply%20Musical%20Bass%20Hoops%20Maple

You can go to a 12 ply, but for a 20" bass, the 10 ply, 1 1/2" maple should be perfect. Just lacquer them with a rattle can lacquer and you are good to go. I use lacquer, not poly, because poly tends to add a plastic sound to wood, negating the reasoning for using wood in the first place.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here