Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

hello, my name is....

...silas and i live in vancouver bc, canada. i'm pretty heavily into old aircooled vws but i've also been involved with music for over 20 years (drummer). the first band i played in was a 3 piece with guitar, drums & french horn/keys!!

i played in concert, jazz, and dixie-land bands in junior high & high school and then started a rock band fresh out of high school. we recorded a couple cds & toured western canada a couple times, played in some divey vancouver clubs and then broke up after 6 years together. started another rock/pop band, recorded another cd, played the club scene in vancouver and then that band broke up. joined a punk band, recorded another cd, slayed the ugliest stages in vancouver, and then we broke up. i shelved the drums & the music for the last 6 years so i could focus on a career change (automotive industry), but i have recently wanted to get back into playing a little here & there. i have also dusted the cobwebs off my vintage rogers drum kit (i've owned it for 20 years) and will be posting pics and asking alot of questions about it and it's history. it's pretty beat up, but it's one of those sets that i cherish greatly and wouldnt mind fixing up.

i'm very happy to have found this forum. after browsing the threads and reading some info, it seems as though there alot of very knowledgeable people here. i may not be able to contribute to the tech sections as much as i'd like, but i'll throw in a "good game" wherever i can!!!

:)

cheers

silas

Zündfolge Car Club

1969 Rogers Holiday Model
Posted on 15 years ago

Welcome !!!! Good to have you here!

Kevin
Posted on 15 years ago

1969 Karman Ghia (R.I.P.). It was the only car I knew how to work on, myself!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

71 VW Westfalia Bus Red/White rebuilt with my 10 year old son. Wouldn't trade those times for nuthin. Oh yeah...would love to the the Rogers pics. Had to say something about drums here.

Posted on 15 years ago

Welcome silas!... and,

I've had 5 aircooled VW's... all Type 1... two of which were complete restorations with the other three being very nice daily drivers. My final restoration was done in 1987 on a 1957 Coral Red Sunroof Sedan Deluxe model. This car won 10 first place trophy's, 2 best of show, 1 best engine ( stock in daily use ) and probably the most prestigious award for me, a HotVW's Magazine feature! In total I have had 15 VW's and 3 Audi's over the past 34 years! I guess one could say that I am a fan! My current "daily driver" is a 2003 VW "20th Anniversary GTI" in Black Magic Pearl of which only 4000 were built with each car being numbered on the dash plate. Mine is #3434, but already I digress... Here are a few pics of the 1957 Sunroof. Vintage drums... VW's... Audi's... does it get any better than that??!! :-D

Tommyp

Posted on 15 years ago

SILAS: Welcome to the forum! There are some fantastic members here just full of information that they're willing to share. In regard to Rogers drums, you've already got the attention of TommyP who is DEFINITELY the "ROGERS GURU" in my opinion. I'm sure that he'll be able to help you with ANY question you might have concerning your kit.

TommyP: I've just got to ask you -- Is there ANYTHING that you own that isn't "best in class"? That VW you provided pictures of looks eerily "life-like" to me. Perhaps it's the "eye lids" over the front headlights (LOL)! FANTASTIC looking car. THANKS for sharing!

Posted on 15 years ago

Silas, welcome to the forum! As stated, good bunch of dudes here.

Posted on 15 years ago

thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!!! i definatley think i've found the "holy grail" of vintage drum forums!!!!

also nice to see that there are some vintage vw fans here too!! if any of you have pics (past & present)...post them up!!!

great story mcjnic!!! that's a great way to get some father/son time in!!!

tommyp....below is a link to a thread i started for my rogers kit. any info, ideas or guidance you can lend is greatly appreciated...

http://vintagedrumsets.com/showthread.php?t=7059

and what a beautifull oval!!! good job and congrats on the hotvws feature and awards. it's nice to see that your hard work and perserverance in the restoration gets some credit!!

ironically, i'm on my 5th & 6th aircooled (also all type I's). i've got a 64 daily driver (a little rough around the edges but solid & mechanically sound) and a 56 oval ragtop that is completely blown apart and under the knife. the car needs alot of metal work, so i bought myself a welder and will tackle it bit by bit!! the aircooled community up here in vancouver is very strong, so i've got lots of inspiration & people to bounce ideas off of!!

[img]http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/527664.jpg[/img]

[img]http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/151885.jpg[/img]

Zündfolge Car Club

1969 Rogers Holiday Model
Posted on 15 years ago

OldSchool and Silas!...

OldSchool!... THANK YOU as always for the very kind words!, and I really don't have a clue how it is that everything I own is "best in class". Actually, no wait... I do: I'm just one of those obsessive/perfectionist types I guess... and it can be a curse I'll tell ya!! :-D As the years have gone by I have "dialed it back" a bit with regard to everything having to be just so... but enough of it has been retained to still keep me honest! ( and for me to take pride in what I do too! ) I have to tell you about the VW "eyelids" as that is an actual VW accessory: In the VW catalog for 1957 it states that the "eyelids" help focus the headlight beam on the road ahead... HA!!!! ... this is a 6 volt electrical system here, and one would need a lot more then "eyelids" to focus THAT beam of light!! The truth is, I thought they LOOKED cool!! :-D

Silas!... I haven't chimed in on your Rogers drums question/post as Ploughman has already answered your queries and in excellent detail. He is spot on here, and also a trusted/accurate source for Rogers information. I don't think there will be much of anything that you can't get answered here!! Enjoy the forum!! Regarding the VW's:

Your pics brought me back to doing the full body off restoration on my 1957 oval Sunroof Sedan... wow. LOVE that '56 sunroof!... that will be a beauty when you're finished!! Strictly out of curiosity: What color are you going with? Interior?

Tommyp

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here