Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.85804%

Hello Everyone

Hi everyone, just wanted to say hello and I've joined the Forum here.

I have a 1968 Ludwig Hollywood Set and last year celebrated 40 years with both Ludwig and Zildjian.

You can read my history of the kit and cymbals here:

http://home.myfairpoint.net/notredame0113/vintage.html

I look forward to being here and hearing from many other Vintage fans as well.

Thanks for letting me intro myself...and enjoy.

Vya Con Dios...and keep on rockin'

Marc
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Very cool page and info. You are actually one of the few drummers I know who use Ludwig heads. Care to comment on 'em ?[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

So what was the first gig you played with that kit? :)

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

Good morning Jim and thanks for your comments and question.

The first gig with the new Luddies was Morton's Pavilion in Naples, ME October 4, 1968...according to the Love, Inc. Anthology. I seem to remember a rather large hall and a rather smallish crowd...as we...and the hall were just getting known. We returned in early 1969 and played again with me doing the In A Gadda Da Vida...solo...that I remember!

I use Ludwig WeatherMasters and they sound pretty darn good. I did the recon as you saw and Mike tuned my drums beautifully for me...I keep the snare head fairly tight. In my earlier days I used Remo Ambassadors but was not happy with them.

I've been a Luddie fanatic since those early days...and it would be sacriligious (sp...) to not use WM on the drums. We did use the Aquarian as noted for the resonant head on the snare to get a slightly fatter sound...but that's it.

Future plans include leaving my kit to my first grandson if he wants them. Otherwise there will be specifc plans to deal with them. With the TLC I have for them...they need the right "owner" after I'm gone.

Good to hear from you and be here...hope we can chat again. And Jim...what's your kit like...please tell me about it.

Regards,

Marc

Marc
Posted on 15 years ago

Marc,

Thanks for the great story on your web site. I've owned my Luddies since I was 12 and it's the only kit I've ever used. I doubt I've played nearly as many gigs as you, but they've certainly served me well. I'm a bit confused as to their year & style, however. They're stamped Dec 11, 1969, but they still have the keystone badges. You can check them out on the gallery page if you're interested. I'd be happy to hear your comments. Again, congrats on keeping your Ludwig/Zildjian marriage alive and happy for so long!

Posted on 15 years ago

Hey Danster and good morning. Thanks for the kind words and glad you like the kit.

The transition period is explained in detail in Rob Cooks Ludwig Book. In a nutshell...1969 was a transition year when they introduced the new Blue and Olive Badges and used the remaining Keystone Badges that were left. Also they used new 3 ply wood as my kit used the last of the original mahagony/poplar/mahogony. If you have a 1969 set with the Keystones...hang on to it...as that's one of the last kits likely with the original badges on them. As I understand also...there are some kits in 1969 with no badges.

Check out Rob Cooks site (Rebeats) and also the Ludwig website where this is also explained...lots of good sources for Vintage people like us now...so take advantage of them!

And...hang on to those drums!

Vya Con Dios...and nice to hear from friends here.

Marc
Posted on 15 years ago

Marc,

Thanks for the quick reply and the useful information. I had not heard of either of the sources you mention, but I'll be sure to check them out. I'm thinking that age has sort of crept up on me, and until recently I didn't realize that my drums were bordering on antiques -- let alone, rare antiques. The world of vintage drums is a whole new area for me. Fun stuff!

Thanks again, and... Keep on Drummin'!

Dan

Posted on 15 years ago

Hi Marc and welcome.. Really nice drums!! I enjoyed your web site also. It brought backs memories of being a kid looking in the music store window for who knows how many hours. After seeing Ringo..I knew I had to have drums. Did not got the Ludwigs then, my dad bought Apollo's which were fine for me at the time. For the last year or so my daughter has shown an interest in playing my Classic Maples so for her birthday this year, I put together a 60/70's 3ply kit for her. I posted it yesterday. I hope it starts something for her!!

Anyway, just wanted to say hi!!

later..

Harry

BTY..I too use Ludwig Heads (coated med on all the reso and top and bottom on snare)!!

Ludwig Classic Maple, (Quilted African Makore'), 16x22, 8x12, 9x13, 14x14, 16x16, 6.5x14 n/maple and 100th anniversary 6.5x14 Supra
Daughter's Ludwig (jellybean) kit
"70" 14X22 silver sparkle, "67" 5x14 supra, "67" 9x13 blue sparkle, "09" 16x16 Legacy green sparkle
Posted on 15 years ago

Good morning Dan and Harry...and thanks for your kind words about my website and kit.

Vintage drums are considered "Vintage" usually after 25 years...although that is a subjective issue in itself. In any event there is a lot of stuff floating around out there...some of it in excellent condition...and some of it waiting for a collector to come around and give it some sorely needed TLC to bring back to life.

In my own case...I really can't believe I'm still using the same kit from over 40 years ago. Now...it will remain in the family as I plan on leaving the kit to one of my grandsons (whoever wants it...). Two years ago as you read...I spent a small fortune to recon them as they sorely needed some good attention and they are like new again.

Harry...glad to see you use Luddie heads too...they get put down a lot but I think they sound good...and also compliment the complete vintage look.

Already fun here and at some point will add my drums to the Gallery when time permits.

Thanks to both of you again for writing and looking forward to being a part of the Forum and also being of help here in the future.

Marc
Posted on 15 years ago

Great site, welcome.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here