Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Hello and Slingerland Questions

Hi All,

I can't tell you how happy I was to run across this forum. I have been trying to find a way to get some help with vintage drums I own. And past that, I just love to talk drums in general. Anyway, here goes my question(s). I should have enough info for you all to help.

I have 2 "vintage" Slingerland Drums I need help identifying. Unfortunatly, I don't have pictures right now...but here goes.

The first drum is 8-lugs, silver sparkle finish. It has an oval badge, black and brass w/ serial #78985. The shell has reinforcement rings though I am not sure of the shell's wood type. (I believe it's maple, though I don't know the makeup). The strainer WAS a 3 hole strainer (which i am 90% sure was Zoomatic), but was replaced before I got the drum with a standard Ludwig 2 strainer. It does have Stick Saver Hoops and is dated inside with a Oct. 65 stamp. (This seems to match the date of the badge). There is also a "P" stamp inside but I have no clue what that represents. Any ideas?

As for value, I had the holes from the old strainer filled and the drum was professional patched with the identical covering so that only 1 seam is visable. It is in GREAT shape and one of the best sounding snares I own. Any clue what it is? (I have heard rumor it's a Radio King, but haven't verified it).

The 2nd drum is a 6-lug, faded marine pearl finish. It also has a black and brass Niles bage w/ Serial # 138518. It has a standard 2 hole Ludwig strainer and Stick Saver hoops. However, there is no extra holes in this drum so I am assuming it had a similar strainer originally. I don't know the shell type but this does have reinforcement rings as well. What is odd to me is the inside of the shell appears painted a TAN color. I thought this was the work of someone long before I got the drum, but now I hear that Slingerland did finish the inside in that style.

I hope that's enough info. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

I look forward to more discussions soon!

Danny

Posted on 18 years ago

This page will help you answer your questions and show you some pictures

Click Here

The first drum sounds like an Artist Model. Is it a single ply maple shell or a 3-ply shell?? Look at the bearing edge to see what it is. What does the butt side look like?

The "P" stands for Pearl finish

The value depends on the shell, the extra holes will not help the value.

The second drum is correct and yes they did paint the interior a chocolate brown. If you click to that page it is the student model snare.

Of course the 6 lugger is not worth as much. My guess $150 to $175. If it was a rare color more of course.

David

Webmaster

Posted on 18 years ago

Most likely, if the inside of your drum has a date stamp, it's a 3 ply drum with a maple interior, although at the time, Slingerland cataloged them as solid shell drums. Once the drums have extra holes, even if they are filled, the value to collectors is greatly reduced. I'd guess the drum would get $100-200...more if it's a solid shell drum.

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here