Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.45929%

Hello and Leedy drum set questions

Hello,

My name is Cary and I just joined the forum here at Vintage Drum Forum. I've enjoyed the reading thus far. I'm sorry I didn't discover it sooner.

I have a Leedy set (bass, tom and floor tom) and was wondering if anyone could tell me what it is worth. According to the badge on the bass drum and the dates stamped inside the drums it is from the early '60s. The finish is the Blue Sparkle Pearl. I've owned it about 5 years now, have used it fairly lightly and have never had to repair or replace anything. I don't think the tom mount is original equipment, however, I'm pretty sure everything else is.

Any information at all regarding the value of this set would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cary

Posted on 14 years ago

Hi Cary,Welcome.......We need to see pictures to help you..........Vinny

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Also, include some badge shots...the Leedy name went thru a number of...versions.....passing thru the Ludwig company and the Slingerland company at one time or another...

Nevertheless, it is likely a solid old American-made set so worth a decent dollar.....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

From Jaye

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Also, include some badge shots...the Leedy name went thru a number of...versions.....passing thru the Ludwig company and the Slingerland company at one time or another...Nevertheless, it is likely a solid old American-made set so worth a decent dollar.....[/COLOR]

These Leedy drums should be of the Slingerland owned era, as the original poster stated that the dates inside the shells dated to the early 1960's.

One minor correction here....Ludwig did not own Leedy at any point. Both Leedy and Ludwig & Ludwig were owned by C.G.Conn from the late 1920's up to 1955. In 1950 Conn decided to merge both companies into one as they thought it was easier to manage one company rather than two. Hence the name Leedy & Ludwig from 1950-1955. In reality the company was more Leedy biased than Ludwig, as it seems the Ludwig half of the brand was seen as the lower end drums and the Leedy half was the higher end.

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Aaaah...but I said "passing thru"...not "owned by " ;)

But I never knew Conn owned 'em, interesting....thanks....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

AND here is the day Ludwig purchased his name back from Conn and the two of them shaking hands outside the Conn building... We know who purchased the Leedy name... Hmmm.. Slinger-Leedy :)

Ludwig & Conn Hand Shake

David

Posted on 14 years ago

It's interesting to me that Leedy has been connected to all the classic drum brands, bar Rogers. Ludwig, through Conn. Slingerland, through their purchase of Leedy from Conn. And now Gretsch, who bought Slingerland, sold Slingerland, but kept Leedy. So there's Leedy & Ludwigs, Slinger-Leedys and, what are we going to call the new ones? Gretsch-Leedys? Those new Leedys look pretty but have about as much to do with Leedy as the Slinger-Leedys did.

And speaking of, what's up with the "Leedy" drums in the UK that are really just your standard generic imports (Wine Red, gotta love it!) with the Leedy name on 'em (ala modern "Rogers".) How'd that happen? Does the Leedy name mean anything across the pond that it would be a selling point for cheap, beginner's kits? Weird.

Err...sorry for the thread jack. Cooked Egg

Posted on 14 years ago

From Rob G.

and, what are we going to call the new ones?

Greedys ... ... ... Letch ... ... ... Leech ... ... ...

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here