Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Hello & my vintage Pearl drums

Hi, thanks for the help with the links to identify my old set. I bought this kit from Felix Nolan. i used to jam with him back in Utica, ny. I played bass in a "new age jazz" trio. He's an outstanding drummer!

I'm thinking they are about 1976-77 model FW 624 or FW 5. Maybe that's too specific but that's my impression from the information in the Pearl Brocures linked in the forum.

The other indicating feature I couldn't find (in the brochures) is the kick drum lugs (holders?)are made from stamped sheet metal (rather than cast) and remind me of the letter "w".

They are fiberglass/wood and have a pleasant light gold finish.

This is a lousy picture, i will try taking another one after I've finished building the drum booth in the basement.

I'm considering selling these.

1 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

Dave,

Welcome to the forum!

I love these drums!

The FW5 drum sizes are 14x22, 16x16, 9x13, and 8x12, whereas the FW624 sizes are 14x24, 16x16, 10x14, 9x13 PLUS a 16x18 floor tom. From the picture, I'd say yours is the FW5.

I think you've come close as to year of manufacture, as it's definitly pre-1978 as that is when Pearl went to the 7/8" tube "Vari-set" system for tom mounting. This one obviously has what Pearl used in the early-to-mid 70s.

I also see some other toms in the picture... are they Pearl WFG as well?

Bill

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 12 years ago

Hey, thanks for the reply. No, the other toms are just some ugly little concert toms that came with the set, the lugs look like the picture below:

they're 5-6 ply spray painted inside with some kind of multi colored grey black speckled paint. no bottom rim.

I'm not sure how to measure a drum, sorry. Is it width X height at the rim or do you include the rim in the measurement?

9x13, 8x12 actually looks about right

1 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

I'm not a "CB700" expert, but I think they used lugs similar to that at some point in the 70s.

Yes, the "size" of drums is just the shell size. And Pearl of that era on their WFG drums actually made their "16x16" floor tom 15x16. They still called it a 16x16 though... which can be and is confusing.

If you're going to sell, for what it's worth I just sold two similar 70s Pearl WFG kits in December with the same "FW5" configuration on eBay. One was a rewrap and it sold for around $400, the other was original wrap in pretty good shape and it brought $480.

Good luck!

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here