Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Heads which are a bit bigger than Remo Classic Fit

Hi all,

I am currently restoring an old Dresdner Type concert snare drum. It came to me with 60s Premier Everplay Heads that fit so-so. I just put on some new 60s style Remo Classic Fit Ambassadors but those sit very tightly, I wondered if anyone knows some quality heads that are a bit bigger in size, avoiding paying for custom heads and also avoiding the low-quality oversized heads that one can get at STdrums or the likes in Europe. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Best,

F

Posted on 4 years ago

Tag!

I have never heard of that model of drum before. Could you share a picture? I assume that the snare diameter is in cm and not inches, hence your problem. I know that Aquarian and Remo both make a vintage model (basically a thinner flesh hoop), but it was developed for older drums made in inch measurements. I have no knowledge of companies that produce metric sized heads. I can only suggest an older, used metric head or just go with calfskin. Just make sure the new flesh hoop matches your counter hoop exactly!

-Kurt

1974-75 Rogers Starlighter IV New England White 13/16/22 (w/Dyna)
1964-67 Rogers Blue Glass Glitter 12/14/16/20
early Oaklawn Camco Blue Moire 12/14/20
1926 Super Ludwig 5x14
1960-ish Ludwig COB 5x14 Super Sensitive
1960-ish Ludwig COB 6.5x14 Super Sensitive
1970 Ludwig COB Cut-Badge 5x14 Supra Phonic

Looking for a Camco Aristocrat SD in Blue Moire!!
Posted on 4 years ago

Hi Kurt,

thank you for your reply. It's an Apparatebau look-alike, possibly 50s spares from GPL or the likes then assembled by Tromsa or so, original strainer sadly missing. Heavy, all-COB. Shell is a fair bit out of round, snares side fitting better than batter. Heads with 1 or 2 mm more diameter would help already, just wondered if other brands than Remo tend to be a bit wider in diameter. Best, F

Posted on 4 years ago

Beautiful Drum!

My eyes are playing tricks on me.....How does this drum tension?

I see square headed tension rods that look like they are in one piece to the other side.(?)

Is there an insert sleeve that accepts the threads that I can't see?

-Kurt

1926 Super Ludwig 5x14

Posted on 4 years ago

OK. I just see it after enlarging several times. Again, Beautiful drum!

1926 Super Ludwig 5x14

Posted on 4 years ago

Hi Kurt, thank you for your nice words. https://www.ebay.de/itm/Snare-14x5-rare-vintage-custom-made/264633735370?hash=item3d9d6658ca:g:ZtcAAOSwCjFc-B8z This one is very similar. You have a central rod in the middle fixed with a screw and then caps on both sides that you can loosen/tighten, the hooks/claws/grommets or whatever the word in English is ;-) are soldered to the hoop. It's beautiful, but a bit impractical altogether. Best, F

Posted on 4 years ago

I use Aquarian American Classic heads on my Gretsch RB set. They are supposed to be a bit over sized, but they are meant to produce a sound similar to a calfskin head. Your results may vary.

Posted on 4 years ago

My Radio King kit is oversized. I've got Remo Classic Fit Ambassadors on the 13" & 16" now and they fit substantially better than Aquarian American Vintage or Evans 360 heads.

They actually have tone and tune up as well. 'Normal' Remo heads, say an Emperor or Ambassador, both responded notably better than the 360 or AV heads.

Maybe it has something to do with my drums also having ~73 year old baseball bat bearing edges and the shape of the Evans and Aquarian collar just doesn't match up well?

I could get the normal Remo heads on without that much more effort than the AVs or 360 heads. The Classic Fit's are definitely better in this regard however they're still a bit tight/snug. There's no way I'm able to spin the head like you see on most tuning videos, at least not with the head pushed down onto the shell.

I felt like I struggled to get nice low end and body with the AVs, which was weird when coupled with their rolled off high end. The Evans heads were dead, lifeless.

I cut the aluminium hoops on the standard Remo heads as well as the AVs. They certainly got onto the drums better and all tuned up easier, however the difference between the Remo's and AVs was still notable. I didn't bother cutting the 360s.

Ranking them it was:

Classic Fit Ambassador

Ambassador or Emperor (with a few cuts into the aluminium collar)

Ambassador or Emperor (no mods)

Aquarian American Vintage (with a few cuts into the aluminium collar)

Aquarian American Vintage (no mods)

Evans 360 (G1/G2)

Anyway, that's my experience with oversized drums and just about every oversized or 'vintage capable' head I could get my hands on down here.

Posted on 4 years ago

Thank you for your input so far. So, it seems like I have to resort to the Remos, maybe I can get a bit more of diameter if I sand them, without destroying them hopefully, or maybe I have to resort to custom heads then.

Posted on 4 years ago

[ame]https://youtu.be/GiqGx96N87U[/ame]

Posted on 4 years ago
Action Another action Something else here