Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Heads for Vintage Ludwigs

I have just about completed working on my '66 Champagne Sparkle Ludwigs and am looking to purchase heads. I bought a vintage Ludwig Logo and a Remo Powerstroke 3 for the 22 bass but am undecided on the 13 and 16 toms, batter and resonant. Should I stick with the Remo Ambassadors. I would prefer to use clear heads in order to eye ball/appreciate the original painted interiors that are in great shape. I have used the pinstripes before and liked those on a set of newer Pearls.

Any suggestions are appreciated. They will be used more for giging than recording. Anyone try the newer Remo Renaissance Ambassadors that claim to be vintage sounding ??

Thanks for any suggestions.

John

Posted on 16 years ago

Hi,

I would reccomend a single ply, white coated. I especially like the Aquarians, they sound great and the coating doesn't wear out. I like the Evans and Attack too.

Matt

Ludwig-Zildjian-Aquarian
Posted on 16 years ago

I like Remo DIPLOMATs. They are thin and conform to the often less-than-perfect bearing edges -and they are the same weight as the vintage Ludwig Weathermaster heads (7.5 mil.). Lots of people opt for Ambassadors, but the Ambassadors are 10 mil. and I think they deaden the response considerably more than a Diplomat. BUT...you have to get your technique together in order to avoid denting/dinging the thin Diplomats.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

If you play the rock, I would like to suggest Aquarian Super 2 coated (but they also make clear) for the rack and floor. Only, then you'd probably want to...maybe, Focus X with PowerDot the snare and SKII or III the bass drum.

Really, vintage drums and these heads just sound good together from my angle.

I'm refering to as on a/my 4-piece '65 Ludwig kit.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here