Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Heads for thin shell MIJ drums-INFO from Aquarian

Earlier this week I emailed Aquarian Heads to complement them on the new Z-100 coated snare heads and to also get a little info on the construction of them. Roy Burns emailed me back in a couple of hours and asked me to call him back. The man truly cares about his business and seems to want to know how they are doing, and he wants to know how he can make his products better and more relevant to the marketplace.Bowing

Knowing what I wanted, he knew my interest is in MIJ drums and still yet took his own time to speak with me about the needs and gain some understanding of these old, thin, rickety shells we so love. We spoke about the construction and type of wood these particular drums are made of. We also talked about the heads themselves and the way they sound.

This head design is more about the coating than the thickness of the mylar or the collar design or ring. The Z-100 coating is kind of a coarse coating, if that makes sense, that lends itself well to brushes. I assumed, erroneously, that it was only designed as a snare head. Mr. Burns informed me that is is available in all sizes, up to 22".

I stumbled on them at GC on a promo, along with Evans single ply snare heads. They are 10 mil single ply heads. This seems to be their answer to the Ambassador, but I find it to not be as stiff as the Ambies, more pliable, not as tight feeling, even though my hand is not as, shall we say....attuned to the feel as most of you. Cooked Egg

Anyway, my point is, since the other heads I found, the out of production Taiwanese Remo Encore, that seem to be well suited to these shells are no longer available, this may well be the head for the thinner shells. And they are a bit less than the Remo heads.

Mr Burns genuinely was very interested in what I had to say about them and was eager to hear that they seem to be well suited to these old drums. Good for us, but finding them may be a challenge, so find a shop that sells them or find them online and order up a set, next time you need to re-head.

Also, it seems to fit these shells better than some other heads, so that is a plus. Many modern heads tend to be tight on the collar and are difficult to tune.

Mr. Burns, if you read this, I want to thank you for taking the time to speak with me, and thank you for showing genuine concern for what matters to us.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago

Outstanding, Jonni. I love it that you have taken this on. Those heads will find a home on more than just MIJ kits. They sound like they would be pretty sweet jazz heads. Neat!

Posted on 13 years ago

Jon, that was great that Roy Burns was so accesible. Hopefully, he understands that there is a real market for these types of heads now that the MIJ sets are gaining in popularity (and, unfortunetley, price!).

My set of z-100s for my Valencias are on the way, I'm really looking forward to trying them out and seeing what they sound like.

Posted on 13 years ago

Very cool- Roy Burns has an amazing history - it's great he's still active and involved. I'll look into the heads - see if they have them here.

For info. & live schedule:
www.EricWiegmanndrums.com
*Odery Drums Japan endorser/ representative
*Japan Distributor of Vruk DrumMaster pedals
*D'Addario Japan Evans/Promark/Puresound
*Amedia Cymbals Japan

It's the journey not the destination.
Posted on 13 years ago

Hey Jonnistix! Yes, Roy is a wonderful person to do business with. Really takes the time to understand what drummers want and hear their feedback. I'm attaching a picture of Roy giving me a drum lesson way back in the 80's. Sure wish I had that much hair today! The picture was taken by a photographer working for Modern Drummer magazine who happened into the store knowing that Roy was giving lessons there. At my next lesson, Roy let me know that the picture would appear in MD! I made sure to get that copy and scanned the picture years later. Finally, just last year, I enlarged it a bit and printed it out on nice paper. Gave Roy a call and he told me to come on down so he could autograph it for me. We spent a good 20 minutes talking drums! Finally glad I did this! Hope you all enjoy the picture!

1 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

Hi all

I've been using this head on my gigging ,Ludwig 402 for a year or so, the coating is hardwearing, i decided to try on my Star floor tom couple of months ago as I'd read about thinner heads sounding good on these on one of J'stix's posts.

Sounded so good bought new Aquarians for both toms and the Star snare. What a great jazzy sound, now I'm taking this old MIJ out to earn its keep instead.

Reccommended!!

Gary

Gary
1970 WMP Star
1971 Gretsch
1976 Camco
1972 Slingerland
1982 Yamaha 9000 RC
FVF custom kit
AD Drums custom kit
RCI acrylic kit
Arbiter Flats Pro