Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Heads for Gretsch 6 ply Jasper Shells

Hi Folks

I just scored a set of early-sixties Gretsch Jasper 6-ply drums in jazz sizes that the seller had forced Remo heads onto.

I was able to gently remove the Remo heads with no damage.

I have ordered Aquarian Vintage American heads for replacement.

Are these the best solution?

And what do I do for the basss drum logo?

Thanks for your help!

50's Gretsch RB 13/16/20 w/Matching Snare Midnight Blue Pearl
60's Gretsch Jasper RB Progressive Jazz Silver Sparkle
Rogers Dayton Top Hat Silver Glass Glitter w/Powertone
'65 Ludwig Super Classic 12/13/16/16/22 Blue Sparkle with Supraphonic 400 Rescue Kit
Slingerland Pre-Badge/Pre-Vent Hole 12/14/18 Blue Agate Pearl w/Matching Snare
No-name MIJ 12/16/20 Red Sparkle Rescue Kit
Tama Starclassic Birch 6-piece Red Aztec Fade w/Matching Snare
Posted on 13 years ago

the Gretsch website sells replacement logos for the bass drum. I think you can also order a new one with the logo already printed on it, from websites like interstatemusic.com . They tend to have the best prices.

As for the heads, I only tried the Aquarian heads on a Gretsch snare and hated it. I ordered the medium thickness, which should be labled as heavy or extra heavy. It sounded like a card board box with snares on it. Once I went with a remo Ambassador (which did fit very tightly) The sound really opened up and got more sensitive.

I've also heard that you can custom order remo heads to a custom size. I guess you have to het them know you are trying to use them on vintage Gretsch drums, and they would be able to accomidate you. Not 100% sure, but hope that helps.

http://www.pkdrums.net
Posted on 13 years ago

Yes the coating on Aquarian American Vintage (or Modern Vintage which are same coating but NOT the larger diameter for oversized Gretsch shells) is very think. I like them when they break in, and recently accelerated the process with some success using very fine (600) sandpaper. Not hard work, and opens the Medium ones up nicely. I haven't tried the Thin ones so I can't say if they would be more to your liking.

It isn't just Aquarian who have heads which are labelled one thing but much thicker once the coating is taken into account. Remo are the same with Fiberskyn. The FD is more like Ambassador weight because of the coating, and FA is more like Emperor weight. That's why there used to be some other designation which was more like Diplomat weight in its feel but I can't see it on the Remo site now. That's progress I guess.

Ah. Now this is more like it. They are FT (for thin) in the old scheme and nicely presented on this web site so you see how they fit into the series

http://memphisdrumshop.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=299_300_314

I suspect the Fiberskyn product lines have been simplified since then, perhaps as part of the launch of several new types like Skyntone and Vintage A.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here