Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Heads for a '69 Supraphonic

Looking for suggestions from the community on batter and snare side heads for a 1969 (early blue/olive) Ludwig Supraphonic 5x14.

Owner wishes to use medium tuning for classic rock.

Your thoughts are appreciated!

Posted on 4 years ago

For me, this is easy! Coated Ambassador-weight top with a Ambassador-weight for the snare-side. Chose the heads you like best... Aquarian, Evans, Remo, Ludwig, etc.

Ambassador-weight batter heads are usually single-ply, 10mil. The exception is Ludwig. Their Ambassador-weight head is called "Medium" and is 7.5mil thick. Their "Heavy" head is 10mil thick.

-Mark

Posted on 4 years ago

Just picked up a 64 supra last week(lucky find at estate sale auction) and put coated Ambassador and clear ambassador on it with some new puresound 20count snares and it sounds great.

Posted on 4 years ago

I have a 1970 with Ambassador Coated on the batter side and Ambassador clear snare on the snare side.

Posted on 4 years ago

From jimorlando

I have a 1970 with Ambassador Coated on the batter side and Ambassador clear snare on the snare side.

Jim, how many snare wires you got on that gosh darn thing?

Posted on 4 years ago

I think it’s a 24 wire. Just experimenting but I like it.

Posted on 4 years ago

Everyone has different tastes and styles of playing, but from the beginning, I would always use Remo Ambassadors on all Toms, but preferred Diplomats on my Snares, both Batter and Reso Heads.

And on some snares prefer the Diplomat M5 Batter (5 mil), but not at all an easy head to find.

If the person in question is a banger, then such might not be the heads of choice.

Posted on 4 years ago
Action Another action Something else here