Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Headphones While Drumming???

Hello. I am a rookie at drumming and I have seen/heard of drummers wearing headphones or ear buds when they play. What does that do? I tried it and to me I heard the important parts of the drums minus the ringing noise or anything like that. Is that the purpose or is there more?

You can call me Carter!
1980's Gretsch Red Rosewood
2000's Gretsch Catalina Birch
Zildjian/Paiste - Remo - Pro Mark/Vic Firth

Posted on 14 years ago

A common reason is because the drummer is playing to a click track, like a metronome. Sometimes you need to do that to be in sync with tracks that are recorded.

Posted on 14 years ago

From MastroSnare

A common reason is because the drummer is playing to a click track, like a metronome. Sometimes you need to do that to be in sync with tracks that are recorded.

Oh yes the metronome. I have a question. I bought an app for my iPhone... and it is a metronome. Do you believe that it is good enough (considering I am a rookie) or should I think about getting a real metronome. Or do I not even need one yet?

You can call me Carter!

Posted on 14 years ago

Your iphone app is fine. Never too soon to start.

Posted on 14 years ago

The sooner you play with a click, the better. It's not going away, and most studio recordings are cut to a click. (not all) If you want to play to a click with a live band practice/studio, you will need the isolation headphones. I love 'em. You basically only hear what is being pumped into your headphones. I like the Shure ear buds live, if I'm playing to a click. The click is your friend with perfect time, not your enemy.

My two cents

Rogers early Fullerton Blue Strata 22,13,16 w/brass Dynasonic
My first kit, 1983 Ludwig Rocker? (it has the classic lugs and 4ply maple shell) 22,12,13,16 ..now in black oyster pearl. I still have it
Stop Sign USA Gretsch (80's), black nitron jasper shell 22,12,13,16
1995 Fibes Austin,Texas Badge (original owner) 22,10,12,16,18 in natural wood
USA 2007 Rosewood Gretsch 22,13,16 w/12inch 70's Rosewood Gretsch tom
Posted on 14 years ago

headphones (the big ones) are fine until you start wearing them on stage. They may have a practical application but they are deeply uncool.Toilet

Andrew

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz
Posted on 14 years ago

I had to go to isolation cans because of hearing loss. On stage, I use in-ear or the same iso-cans. You are correct, they do look bad. But, I gotsta do what I gotsta do to keep from going deaf. Buy a GOOD set of iso-cans. You can usually get a work set (banging around in the gig bag) for 100. Buy nice ones for the studio work, though. You will want the best emerssion of sound you can afford. Details are important there.

Posted on 14 years ago

ok thanks everyone

You can call me Carter!

Posted on 14 years ago

Some good advice for sure here's some more take the click and throw it as far out in a lake as you can... learn to keep time and play from the heart so much of the new music sounds canned, and programed why? because it is! music is joy to ones heart let it sing... music with a few mistakes or a bump in the tempo just sounds human.. and to this day i still can not find any rock and roll live recordings better than one's done in the 60's and 70's WITHOUT and darned Click, or triggers YUCK, or pre recorded tracks.. FFS play music and let er rip... nothing in this world is perfect quit trying to make music that way.

now back to your regular programming... :)

Posted on 14 years ago

From Fayray

headphones (the big ones) are fine until you start wearing them on stage. They may have a practical application but they are deeply uncool.Toilet

Somebody should have tols that to Keith Moon......he used to duct tape them to his head!Mind Blowi

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here