Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Head choice

It costs a lot of money to experiment with heads now, and we know heads make a HUGE difference, so what would you use on a vintage Olympic mahogany kit used for old R&B/Motown exclusively?

Looking for a top n bottom combo that you would suggest on a 12,16,20.

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 5 years ago

I just put Remo Ambassador coated heads top and bottom on my 1968 Pearls. I've never used coated heads as resos before but man do they sound deep and full with lots of resonance and no unwanted overtones. I play a lot of Motown, soul and funk and it's the perfect sound.

Posted on 5 years ago

Vote #2 agreed with Lenny- coated Ambassadors for the warmth. Some guys would use the more 'open' smooth white as resos/ but I'd bet you'll love the coated as both/ and they'll look the part also.

Posted on 5 years ago

I'll also go with the above recommendations for coated Ambassadors top/bottom. They'll sound great! I will say that if you need a bit more warmth and depth, you can also go with coated Emperors top with Ambassador coated on the bottom. Makes a good combination, too!

-Mark

Posted on 5 years ago

I do like Ambs top n bottom but these are 100%mahog shells and figured they would sound different from say my Sonor beech kit that I love dearly.

Emps have always interested me but I shy away from 2 ply heads on birch or maple, but thought they might sound "old" on the mahogany?

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 5 years ago

Old school heads when possible nothing like them!

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 5 years ago

From Lennytoons

I just put Remo Ambassador coated heads top and bottom on my 1968 Pearls. I've never used coated heads as resos before but man do they sound deep and full with lots of resonance and no unwanted overtones. I play a lot of Motown, soul and funk and it's the perfect sound.

This.

I'd go with coated Ambassadors top and bottom. I love the look of the coated bottom heads as well. Those AM shells will sound great with them, I have a B303 kit with AM shells to, they sound amazing with that head set up, especially for that Motown vibe.

Posted on 5 years ago

Clear Diplomats on the bottom, clear Emperors on top. Or, if you like Evans, Clear G1s on the bottom, clear or coated G2s on top.

Posted on 5 years ago

I have received a lot of compliments on the sound of a small drum set that I use for a society band gig and small combo jazz. I have used various single coated heads (currently Aquarian Vintage for brush response) and use snare side heads on the bottoms of all of the tom toms. I don't use any muffling or tone controls, not even Moon Gel, except for the bass drum. This combination might sound strange to you, but I recommend that you have a friend play them and listen from a distance. That is a good way to check out any new head selection. Hope this helps, good luck. Joe

Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here