Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Head & Snare Wires Choice for Beverley Cosmic 21

Hi everyone - I am in the throws of renovating a '70's Beverley Cosmic 21 and was wondering your thoughts on head choice. I am thinking of Evans Hazy 300 on Snare side & Evans Power Centre Reverse Dot for batter. I am after that vintage '70's boom so believe wires are an important part of this. I was thinking of using 25 strand or 42 strand wires. Let the debate begin......

Posted on 13 years ago

Beverley would have been outfitted with an Everplay Extra as standard equipment. I have a few of these heads and they are very similar to Remo Diplomats. I don't know , which Evans head woulkd match that but you can find out from their respective websites. Basically the material is the same ---it is the thickness , that is important. A centrespot head might deaden and deepen the drum a little but be more durable. The snare side head is not all that important except that the older heads were fairly thin; probably a diplomat or equivalent should work as well. Wires are more iffy. I'm not sure what period you are attempting to emulate but there was a bit of a revolution in snare wires around the end of the 60's----probably into the early 70's.

British drum companies used high carbon steel wires up until a certain point and then shifted over to chromed steel just like everybody else. I have a lot of drums from the 50's and 60's and a lot of them came with original wires. The high carbon steel wires have a unique sound. It was not uncommon for drums to have 8,10 or 12 strands in those days----16 was a lot but with the advent of chromed soft steel wires everybody went hog wild for 20, then 24 then 30 and on and on because the wires sounded crappy and the assumption was that you could make up for this with more wires. -----so the sound of the drums changed----deeper and throatier; more wires with a lower timbre because they were no longer bright sounding spring steel. hope this helps.

Posted on 13 years ago

Aquarian Z-100. Roy Burns will set you up with a complete set for your vintage kit and they will sound amazing on these drums.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago

Reverse dot batter heads are the snare sound of a lot of 70's and 80's recordings, thus their popularity in the drum market. I think a reverse dot / powercentre head is the best head for a majority of snare drums = Great balance between lively outter edge sound, and a meaty centre head sound with some attack. Thats my two penneth.The Band

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here