Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.65762%

Hayman "big Sound" / Ludwig "downbeat

I'm trying to determine what would be considered "fair trade value" for a Hayman Big Sound Kit with original wrap. Would a Ludwig Downbeat Kit in comparable condition be worth considerably more or somewhat in the same price range?

I know nothing about the Hayman Big Sound, thus the post.

THANKS in advance for your feedback!x-mas3

Posted on 15 years ago

That is a very tough question. A nice set of 60's Down Beats with the 4x14 snare go for about 2500-3000.

60's Down Beats with a Jazzfest in the 2K range, Supra 1500-1800

My numbers are predicated on it's in great shape and everything is there including the rail mount and cymbal rod (tilter is fine etc.)

My concern would be you are trading tone big time. I have a set of Down Beats and I just love them, punchy or the perfect jazz rig. They are not "loud" drums by any means. What type of music do you play?

Hayman's are great drums and "Big Beat" sounds like big drums... (any pics?) and Down Beats like a higher tuning.

A lot of the value in the Down Beats is the snare (matching 4x14) and the FT as it's an 8 lug drum (14x14)

If the Down Beats are 70's... NO, I wouldn't trade a Hayman kit for them.

If you have played them and you like them... well the numbers are above, Good Luck!

Posted on 15 years ago

3-ply_guy: THANKS so much for taking the time to respond to my post and HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and yours.

I didn't complete the transaction, since I would have had to ship out of the U.S. and didn't want to go that route.

Right now I'm more of a "collector" than a "player." However, my plans are to retire in July and, hopefully, I'll then have some time to get back to "having some fun."

The 1968 WMP Downbeat (14x20 / 8x12 / 14x14) kit that I've got is in extremely nice condition. I purchased it from a former jazz drummer who took excellent care of it. Unfortunately (for me!) it didn't come with the Downbeat (14x4) snare drum. However, I've got a matching WMP Buddy Rich "Be-Bop" Piccolo Snare (13x3), a WMP Buddy Rich Super Classic (14x5 1/2), and a Pre-Serial Keystone COB Supraphonic (14x5) that work just fine with the kit, both functionally and cosmetically. The search for the matching WMP Downbeat snare drum continues, of course!

The Hayman "Big Sound" kit looked in excellent condition also. I've attached a pic of the kit in question. However, I just couldn't "pull the trigger" on the Ludwigs. I guess I'm just too much of a "patriotic" guy to do so.

As usual, appreciate your input!The Band

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here