Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Hayman drums

Hi everyone, I am new to this site. Have joined in order to view information and ask questions about a drum set that I inherited recently. It is a Hayman vibrasonic, says so on the round brass plates on all drums. I have a three piece with bass drum, floor tom and a high tom that attaches via the unique (and awkward) Hayman system. No snare drum unfortunately, it came with a haggard old ludwig thing. It looks as though it was perhaps red once, but has since been sprayed black and the job has not been done particularly well. I would like to put new heads on it and clean up the metal work. Does anyone have any information about these drums, and any tips on getting them in a good playable condition?

Many thanks,

Joe

ps. having admin problems atm, will post pictures as soon as I can!

Posted on 8 years ago

All shells painted or just the snare? Graffiti remover usually does the trick for rattle can paint jobs. Start with small area and see how it reacts with the wrap.

Hayman are usually far and few in between, so nice inheritance. Plenty cleaning tips here, but most important is NO STEEL WOOL on the chrome. Pic will definitely help advice given. When you take the heads off, check bearing surfaces for dings and possible ply separation. Both are pretty easy fix if needed.

Good luck and enjoy them.

Posted on 8 years ago

Some paint types including lacquer will peel off in sheets after a hit of EasyOff oven cleaner. Major caveat I'm not certain how this affects drum wrap but we used to use it on 1:32 scale slot-car bodies, with no adverse effects on the plastic.

Mitch

Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks for that guys. Also this may seem like a really dumb question, but how can I tell what size my drums are without measuring them? I am thinking perhaps there is no alternative but to crack out the tape measure?

Posted on 8 years ago

Here are some catalogs that might help you sort out what you have:

http://www.drumarchive.com/hayman/

and this for measuring:

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/measure_a_drum.html

I look forward to some pictures.

Posted on 8 years ago

Hayman wrap is notoriously fragile. It's a foil sandwiched between thin textured plastic. The foil starts disintegrating over time so may have been rewrapped or painted. The paint may have protected it or it may have been painted to cover poor wrap.

18" & 20" bass drums have 8 lugs per side, 22" and 24" have 10 and the 26" has 12. Tape measure would be handy for the rest

Andrew

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz
Posted on 8 years ago
(AKA MatureDrummer & JacksonHold)
Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here