Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.45929%

Have I been had on this Rogers Snare?

I think so.

We've talked about this snare elsewhere on here previously, but now I have it home and have taken it apart---

I saw the holes vaguely in the snare when I bought it, but the description said "*stock* muffler missing" so I picked up a stock muffler (thank you for your assistance there Ploughman).

Problem is the stock muffler, she don't fit.

I assume this snare was drilled out for some other brand muffler. Or is there some Rogers style muffler I don't know about. I fear the worst.....

Pity, because it looks like it's never been played and there is zero fade on the wrap.

--Any thoughts?

--Should I take this up with the seller?

Thanks everyone

Posted on 15 years ago

It really is a pity when some well meaning idiot decides to fix what aint broke.

I dont think these holes were quite as visible in the first pic posts. And to answer your question, Yes, the drum has been tampered with. Some TOWER snare drums had dampeners. Some did not. This one, did not. I would definitely take it up with the seller. Get him to commit to his "experteez" and then nail his ass.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 15 years ago

Looks like it was drilled for a period Ludwig "baseball bat" style muffler.....

Posted on 15 years ago

From The Ploughman

It really is a pity when some well meaning idiot decides to fix what aint broke. I dont think these holes were quite as visible in the first pic posts. And to answer your question, Yes, the drum has been tampered with. Some TOWER snare drums had dampeners. Some did not. This one, did not. I would definitely take it up with the seller. Get him to commit to his "experteez" and then nail his ass.

I have a Luxor 60's Cleveland snare, and it has no muffler, (no holes for one). I agree with Ploughman, call him out. Good Luck

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks guys.

I've had some incredibly bad luck of late with drum related ebay items.

First it was this hard zildjian cymbal case that was missing the wing nut to hold the cymbals in place once put on the main bolt-post. I asked the seller to get one because "used" doesn't mean "needs repair" or "not working" in a description. He ended up saying I was the worst buyer ever etc.

So big whoop I get to leave neg feedback (paypal dispute center doesn't work because I am having all this stuff collected in one place for eventual transportion to me in Europe where I live and I can't ask of people holding things for me to go through the hassle of shipping).

And now this snare presents similar issues. And I have a damper I don't need!

Here is the key language from the original snare description that duped me:

"The stock muffler is missing, but there are no extra holes."

Except of course the two for the non stock muffler. Any value estimate if I just sell this outright myself --with an honest description?

Posted on 15 years ago

Hey Knavel,

Would you be interested in selling this snare? I don't mind the extra holes. They would go with the extra holes I have (in my head - HA!). Seriously, I am interested in this one. I am looking for a snare to go with my current resto project and this one looks ripe for a matching wrap game. What say you? Would you let 'er go?

Michael

I am posting here instead of PM'ing so that you would feel comfortable with this one. I realize you are overseas and that can lead to a less than trusting attitude where deals are concerned. I'm looking if you're selling.

Posted on 15 years ago

Knavel,

The Tower is a sweet and simple little snare that plays great!! ... you have a nice one there so I wouldn't be too torn up about it.

Yeah... it has some "character" but it is still all the drum it ever was!!

I only toss this out here because I know how long I have been looking for that "perfect" Tower snare to throw behind my little basement kit... The one I have now is not perfect but... a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Stick a Ludwig ball bat in that hole for $30 and play that drum until you find the one you want. The value of the drum is not going to change from this point forward.

mcjnic... apologiies.. I'm not trying to mess up your deal (nice of you to offer a good way out)... just sharing my opinion on this situation

:2Cents:

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

Send it to Jack Lawton first. He can fix that to an almost imperceptible perfection. Granted it will be repaired, but the man has done wonders with some really messed up vintage gear.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 15 years ago

Absolutely the right things to do. I appreciate all of us coming together to help Knavel. Whether he repairs or sells, either way he wins. I'm just one avenue of assistance. All choices are win/win. Great forum!

Posted on 15 years ago

I very much appreciate everyone coming together as well. A big Dating Game Kiss for all of you.

I haven't decided what to do. Holes aside it's pristine. I for sure would like to compare it to my Gretsch Name Band snare that I bought but won't be delivered until the October 20th....since I bought the Rogers on the basis of amazing reviews vs. not so amazing reviews for Gretsch (but they still fetch north of $500--what gives?).

I WOULD be grateful if anyone could suggest what percentage the holes reduce the value of the drum.

My options are

1) Return to seller for refund (if I took it up with Paypal that would be the result). I don't want to do this as I would prefer 1000x that it goes to someone appreciative here.

2) Sell myself on Ebay.

3) Sell to someone here.

Again, I'd like to at least hear it with the set I bought. If I want to sell then I'll come back to you guys.

Thanks!

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here