Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Have any of your built your own drums??

Have any of you guys ever built a complete kit using parts from drummaker.com or amdrumparts.com or one of those type suppliers? I was searching over their sites and I know by the time you put everything together you can have a nice dime invested but just wondering what you guys thought about their solid maple shells and the hardware they have available. Give me some opinions and if you did build your own, post some photos. Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

Rich

Posted on 14 years ago

bought a solid maple snare shell, Slingerland. The shell was never drilled and the edges and snare beds were not cut. I bought reproduction lugs and hoops along with a Dunnette throw from drummaker. I had a local guy cut the beds and edges, I had never done it before and didn't want to experiment on such a nice shell. Turned out great, my favorite snare. I am not the best at posting pics but I will give it a try.

Posted on 14 years ago

I'm working on one right now for my Leedy kit....since a 16x18 floor tom is near impossible to find, I'm making my own using vintage Leedy hardware. Gathering the parts now, pics to follow within the month.....

Posted on 14 years ago

Rich, I used to assemble drums quite often, using parts from the various suppliers (including some who are no longer in business). I wasn't aware that the suppliers today were offering single-ply shells...wonder where they're getting them from? Perhaps Keller or Vaughncraft?

You are correct that making your own drums (or having them made) can easily exceed the cost of factory-produced drums. My view on it has always been that custom-making drums is the best alternative when you know what you want but it's not offered by the "big guys." Maybe you want something that's different, or you're trying to achieve a specific sound, or as Ludwig-dude mentioned if you can't find a piece or need to repair/replace a damaged drum it's sometimes easier to try to recreate it using modern shells with vintage hardware. With a few tools and some basic woodworking skills all it takes is time and practice to become at least moderately proficient.

As for myself I've assembled drums for all those reasons, and also because once I "got the hang of it" I found I actually enjoyed it. I've done too many drums/sets to show them all but I've attached some of my favorites from the past...also, some of my postings in the gallery are my own creations (Slingerland mahogany set, Stanbridge snare).

Jeff

Posted on 14 years ago

I have a 6 1/2x14 keller vintage mahogany shell, that has 60's ludwig hardware, rims are 40's leedy brass single flange,with leedy rim clips also brass, natural mahogany stained, puresound's snare wire's, 30 degrees bearing edges,

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

From vintagemore2000

I have a 6 1/2x14 keller vintage mahogany shell, that has 60's ludwig hardware, rims are 40's leedy brass single flange,with leedy rim clips also brass, natural mahogany stained, puresound's snare wire's, 30 degrees bearing edges,

That is one sweet-looking drum...I love it! And I love the fact that you kept the vintage parts working.

Jeff

Posted on 14 years ago

Not sure this counts, but I've done a couple snares.

2 Kent Stubby snares (4.25"X14" & 4.75"X13") - Both from Kent shells which were cut down due to damage. I also built a Black Beauty tribute snare from a 1967 Acrolite shell and parts purchased from drummaker.com.

[IMG]http://www.bulldawgsound.com/drums/drum%20pics/RdSprklKnt-1.JPG[/IMG]

4.25" X 14" Kent

[IMG]http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/1786/img0359mu.jpg[/IMG]

4.75" X 13" Kent

[IMG]http://www.bulldawgsound.com/drums/drum%20pics/BDBB0004.JPG[/IMG]

5" X 14" Blackrolite Beauty

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks for all the responses, you guys have made some incredible looking drums. Can you guys post some links of the vendors you have used?? I have a few bookmarked but I know you guys probably have some favorites to deal with. Looking forward to hearing from you.

I do custom furniture and remodeling work so I am proficient in the woodworking department. I think I am going to consider making my own set. Going to get a sheet of paper and price things out and see where it ends up and if it will fit within the budget.

Posted on 14 years ago

You've already listed two of the biggest or most popular parts suppliers (Riolo's AmDrumParts and Andy's DrumMaker), the other big supplier would be Precision Drum. There are some others (like Drum Foundry, Jammin' Sam) but they tend to specialize in certain things almost to the exclusion of everything else...Jammin' Sam does wrap, Drum Foundry's gig is mostly tools & layout devices for assembly. They do offer other products & services, but the selection is comparatively slim and the prices don't compare with the others. The other big supplier for Keller shells is Anderson International Trading (AIT) in California; they don't sell anything else drum-related but they do offer bearing edge services. Single-ply steam-bent shells are available from Vaughncraft, Ryan Payne in Indianapolis, and a few other smaller suppliers who tend to come and go. There are also suppliers for segmented shells, solid (carved out of a single piece of wood and not bent) shells, and ply-shell alternatives to Keller (like Eames). I think your best bet would be to begin with the more well-know and established suppliers, and benefit from their suggestions and advice...as well as the security that they will provide a quality product.

Jeff

Posted on 14 years ago

From rms25thta

Thanks for all the responses, you guys have made some incredible looking drums. Can you guys post some links of the vendors you have used?? I have a few bookmarked but I know you guys probably have some favorites to deal with. Looking forward to hearing from you. I do custom furniture and remodeling work so I am proficient in the woodworking department. I think I am going to consider making my own set. Going to get a sheet of paper and price things out and see where it ends up and if it will fit within the budget.

snowdog has covered the bases quiet well, also with Vaughncraft,they also do solid shell drum kits not just snare drum shells, and they run specials all the time,I'm not saying there cheap,i have a bud who has built several kits out of these shell and they are incredible sounding, and besides if you are proficient at wood working, the reason your doing it is because you CAN, and nothing beats something you've built yourself, custom made for and by you,Jump For Joy

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here