Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.45303%

Has Technology Become A Crutch?

Please don't get me wrong. I view current technology such as the internet, video tapes, etc. as valuable tools but have some reservations. I've noticed an increasing amount of questions and topics on websites about how to play drums without "learning". As an example I noticed a fellow on a website asking for someone to post soundfiles so he could find out what 8th note triplets are. I don't want to belittle this chap or others who post similar questions but it seems a lot of folks are looking for a quick fix without going through the basics. If you purchase a video to cop the licks of some well known drummer is that just as good as studying (perhaps with a teacher) and learning the fundamentals that will give you a background to expand on? On a trip recently I talked to a full time working sax player who told me he's worked with some young drummers. His complaint was that a lot of guys have chops coming out of their ears but have never learned how to play with a band. I'm not really sure if I'm just tilting at windmills here but I do notice an increased emphasis on chops but less consideration to the musical aspects of drumming. I know I'm totally a geezer and kind of hardcore when it comes to this stuff but I am concerned that a large group of our community are neglecting "the process" of learning for the quick fix of imitating what they see or hear through the plethora of media that abounds. What do you guys think? Am I just geezing too much?

Posted on 18 years ago

I'll throw in my 2C

I think a lot has to do with the parents of these kids. Since parenting has taken an all time low, many parents do what the kid wants and that is to buy a drum set.

Now they have a set they need to start playing and to do that they need to copy their favorite drummer. So they go to the local teacher at the local music store and he does not have a standard teaching method.

So they learn by watching or find ways to achieve the desired results. Not realizing this is the wrong way to learn.

I started at 9 years old and for the first 3 years I never hit anything other then a practice pad. My teacher was very disciplined and before I could even get a snare drum I had to reach a certain level of proficiency.

It was another 3 or 4 years before I was "allowed" to get a drum set.

Let me say there are a lot of good teachers out their so it is up to the parents to make sure their child is learning correctly. I taught in a music store for over 10 years and teaching is probably 50% counseling, 20% listening and 30% teaching. So many kids were mixed up and struggling with life. (divorce, school etc..)

I followed the same teaching as I had, so my students were doing rather well and getting involved in solo and ensemble contests and joining school bands.

Unfortunately I would get students from other locations and they were not really up to par on the basics at all. If you can master the rudiments you can do anything on the drum set. That is as long as the student could overcome independence etc..

I taught girls, boys and kids with disabiliates and if they have it in their heart they can do it.

Other then that I do agree that there are problems, but I know a lot of very good teachers doing it the right way.

Popular culture traps kids in and I hope a forum like this will get some kids to start thinking about their drumming by reading this and maybe make a change for the better. Unfortunatley because so many parents are lost themselves the child will suffer.

Thanks for the comments and let's hope it changes some thought patterns for kids that are learning.

David

Webmaster

Posted on 18 years ago

Bravo to both posts. I am an example of a student who had a bad teacher. I spent many years undoing all the damage he did. Example: He taught me to play a drag for a five stroke roll. It wasn't until years later when a drummer asked me why I was using a drag when the music called for a five stroke...I had no idea what he was talking about. That was only one of many wrong things he taught me. I set out to find the other problems on my own and spent many years learning to do it right. I've since majored in music ed and was the percussion section leader with Missoula, Montana Symphony and was a studio drummer in Chicago for several years. I've played on chart albums for others and also with my own groups. Music is so much more fun (and that's the bottom line for me) when you learn the basics and have the right study habits. There is nothing wrong with trying to emulate your favorite drummers but you can do it best by learning the basics. Happy drumming!

Keep on Pl

http://Rogers Owners Forum
Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks for the thoughtful response Dave. It seems like we went to the same "school". I did music store teaching as well as drum corps instructing and it was quite rewarding. However, you bring up some very valid points about the myriad of complications that kids in today's world are dealing with. I was a total music geek and so most of my out of school time was spent drumming and playing with bands etc. I had a two parent family from the middle class suburbs and relatively few worries. That priviledge allowed me to pursue my interest and while other kids were just hanging out or trying to fix old cars etc. I was fortunate to be immersed in music. My teachers, like you, started with proper grip, stroke, reading, and maybe just as important, familiarizing myself with many different musical styles. Getting my first snare drum was a big deal and an actual set was huge! I just read a post from a young man who said he tried lessons but after a month the teacher hadn't shown him the "fancy stuff" so he quit taking lessons. I guess we live in a world where the immediate gratification concept rules. I wonder how many young drummers get a set by whatever means and just assume that if they can slam out a beat they will do well enough to get into a band and if that doesn't happen they just drop it. Now I'm smart enough to realize that not everyone is going to take the instrument (or any other one) seriously and when they find out there is work involved they move on to the next whim. However I just can't picture medical students for example asking someone to post a video of an appendectomy so they can see what it's all about. People who apparantly are reasonably serious about wanting to make a career of music don't seem to believe they will have to "pay the dues" to get there.

Posted on 18 years ago

What a great discussion. I guess my situation may be somewhat unique, but perhaps not. Im more of a hobbyist than a musician. I play for the enjoyment of playing, not to make money and not as a career. I dont have any wish to be a professional musician. I already have a good career that I enjoy. With all of that said, I dont think I need several years of technical education to be a proficient drummer. Would I be better? Without question. Would I be able to follow along in a conversation that was all about 1/8s and 1/4s and (insert any drum related tech term)? You bet. But I and the folks I play with are all doing it to have a blast. Thats the absolute end of it.

Heres where the bump in my argument shows up. I was all puffy chested when thinking about how to reply to this post. And then I realized something. I didnt start playing again until later in life. Im not the typical kid trying to learn an instrument for the first time. I had some training early, but got out of it for different reasons. Then decided when I was well into my thirties, why not do it again? Anyways, the problem is I already had an established career path when I decided to play again. And that was the basis for my argument. How does a 12 year old know he will be succesful in something else and will have the urge to play again one day simply for the fun of it? He doesnt. You dont find many, if any, students who walk up to their teacher and say "Just show me what I need to sound OK 'cause this is only gonna be a hobby for me 25 years from now." Just isnt happening. And if your 12, you got time, so why not learn it right. Those zits arent leaving anytime soon, so while the Clearasil is working, he might as make well hang out with his practice pad. Who knows? This might be the thing that this kid makes his career. And the rudiments wll definitely be a must in that case.

So now that Ive blown up my own argument, what the heck is a drag? :eek:

Posted on 18 years ago

Interesting thoughts and certainly playing an instrument of a hobby is a VERY worthwhile objective. It wasn't all that long ago that every family seemed to have a piano in the house. Heck it's only been within the last 100 years that mechanical means of producing music (starting with early recordings and radio) have been a factor in the history of mankind. Prior to that playing an instrument or singing was considered a normal thing in most families and accomplished performance of an instrument was a highly sought after social skill. Very few of these people ever became professional musicians but as a "hobby" music was probably just as common as a kid being skilled at video games today. I certainly think that adult students seem to have a better sense of the work that goes into learning even the basic skills to play an instrument. They also are less inclined to cut corners and will usually follow instruction fairly well. I think it's great when a bunch of adult players get together whether they are reliving high-school garage band classics or playing in the local community band. Glad to hear you check in on this topic and lets see if we can find a soundfile on that drag for you. :)

Posted on 18 years ago

So, are you saying that technololgy won't help me to learn how to play the drums? I already play them...but not so's anybody would want to listen. I can barely stand the noise at times. lol. I'm just trying to teach myself something new everyday, and trying to decipher how to play the rudiments...but you know it is boring, and I cannot get the hang of reading the notes. It's a foregin language to me, and I am struggling.

Okay- so, I am no kid, and I don't have a lot of time to waste. Seriously...my life is practically flashing before my eyes.

I was going to ask if anyone could recommend a dvd, since I cannot afford to pay for lessons. Then I ran across this post.

Still, anyone have some viable recommendations?

Posted on 17 years ago

I have to agree with the thread starter,and i need to say we are a product of our enviroment ,in this day of Instant everything people start believing they can have anything right now...how NOT True! i also agree with the idea it is parents responsibility to teach kids and give them goals..

I never took a music lesson to learn drums,i took a old marching drum made some wire feet and made a floor tom out of it i bought a cheap set for 40 bucks and beat it silly and got no where a friend at school showed me two beats in 4/4 time and BOOM! the lightbulb went on 2 years later i was recording records touring and have never looked back....but in those 2 years i bet i played 8 hours a day..lol

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here