Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Has anyone re-covered using BOP

I'm very fussy and some BOP coverings I've seen are horrible!

Has anyone use the 60's BOP from Precision Drum Co?

If so I'd love to see the results.

Posted on 16 years ago

All the sellers of BOP or the other pearls get their wrap from the same supplier, so the black oyster from Precision is the same as Sam Barnard's, etc.

I'm sure Precision will send you a sample.

Posted on 16 years ago

I'll ask for some samples, cheers

I should have been more specific.

Precision have a wrap called "60's Oyster Black" Anyone used it?

Posted on 16 years ago

Hi, Hurb,

I've seen Precision's 60s Oyster Black on several drums and also have it on a vintage Ludwig Jazz Combo that I purchased some time ago.

In my opinion (and take into consideration here that "the eyes ain't what they used to be!"), it appears just slightly darker than Ludwig's original 60s Oyster Black Pearl finish.

I'd suggest that you get some additional feedback from others as well as a sample of the finish from the company itself. They'll send it out to you for free and you can decide for yourself.

Good luck!

Posted on 16 years ago

I've seen it on several drums. Each batch is different - some of it is very close, and can be difficult to tell from the original, unless you're up close. Others are very obviously different. There are always rewraps on ebay using this wrap, which should give you some idea of the difference.

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 16 years ago

I did one back in the late 90's and I think the wrap then was better. Remember there was a period you couldn't get glass glitter because of some EPA stuff?

One trick is to paint the shells with a Pacific Blue as BOP is a bit translucent and this will bring out the blue on BOP much better.

Lousy pic but this is around 1998 as best I could remember. The BOP was a much better match than the wrap of today. It's way off....

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here