Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Hardware question for 1965 Ludwig Super Classic

I just bought a 1965 black diamond pearl super classic kit. It was modified with a 1967 rack Tom. Sizes are 20x14, 16x16, 13x9, 13x8, and a 14 inch jazz festival snare. I'm looking to replace some hex nuts with wing nuts. Every on the kit has 1/4 inch nuts. Is that the normal size? I bought a hex nut on eBay and it was 5/16 and doesn't fit. The store says that 5/16 is the Ludwig standard size. So now I'm looking for the large 1/4 wing nuts but if I buy them I'm afraid they might be too large for the screws. Can you tell me the correct size for this era kit? Thanks

Posted on 9 years ago

Ludwig used the 1/4" models before they went to the 5/16". Sounds like your kit is correct. You can find them on ebay or maybe someone here might have some. The wing nuts are conveniat. The hex nuts are easier to tighten better though.

Mike

Posted on 9 years ago

I have some Ludwig 1/4" wing nuts that were from the angle adjusters of WFL type snare baskets. They are 1/4" x 20 thread and much larger than you can buy in a hardware store. They should work. Let me know how many you need.

Posted on 9 years ago

From vyacheslav

I have some Ludwig 1/4" wing nuts that were from the angle adjusters of WFL type snare baskets. They are 1/4" x 20 thread and much larger than you can buy in a hardware store. They should work. Let me know how many you need.

That's the ones!

Mike

Posted on 9 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I am looking for 2 to hold the toms on the rack.

Posted on 9 years ago

Also the point about easier to tighten is a good on. One of my toms has a regular nut and not the long ones like the other nuts but the are easier to tighten than the wing nuts that are on the floor Tom legs and bass drum spurs. I am considering staying with nuts to hold the Tom but I would like to get the correct nut. All of the nuts on the kit fit a 7/16 wrench. I saw drum keys on eBay that were being sold at $50 to $80. Pretty expensive but there are also less expensive sockets but I don't know if they would fit the 1/4 inch nut or if it fits a 5/16 inch nut.

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here