Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Habit Of Closing My Eyes While Playing?

Hi. I tend to close my eyes when I drum. I don't know why but it seems that it is a lot easier to not mess up when I don't see what I am doing. It's like I feel the motion of my body that is creating the music. Or in other words I "feel" the music. I don't purposely do it either. It just happens and I notice that I'm doing it after like 15+ seconds. Is this a habit at all? Is this a bag habit? Should I break it? OR is it actually good...? Please help. Thanks

Other info: I'm a rookie so I don't know what's normal yet :D

You can call me Carter!
1980's Gretsch Red Rosewood
2000's Gretsch Catalina Birch
Zildjian/Paiste - Remo - Pro Mark/Vic Firth

Posted on 14 years ago

Playing like that is great when you're on your own, praticing.

Getting a sense of the kit, just knowing where everything is & "feeling it".

No problem.

Though when you're rehearsing or playing with a band, it's best to keep your head up and eyes open, for the most part ;)

Posted on 14 years ago

Eyes closed help you focus on the sound. However, when you start playing in a band in front of an audience, then you want to keep your eyes open so you can see the hotties shakin' it down.Excited

Posted on 14 years ago

I agree with the above; however, after 35 years of playing, I still succumb to this gravitational pull. It's just you and the music....it's awesome. That said, you gotta stay sharp in the studio and at gigs; spontaneity happens and you don't want to get caught out.......a wrongly-timed beat is way, way worse than a wrong note. Remember, you're the biggest part of the backbone - sorry bass-players.

Vintage Drum Fan (Not a Guru)
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here