Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.05846%

Guy on PDF Strikes Gold, er...Brass

You want to see this.

If insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, is it insane to practice?
Posted on 15 years ago

Geez..............Perhaps I'm missing something here! The gentleman states that he's a "friend" of the original owner of these incredible finds, leads the guy into thinking that he'd be "giving them a loving home" and then, before you blink, is inquiring about selling prices.

In my mind, this gentleman is the poster child for the phrase "with friends like that who needs enemies?"

I'm sure the current owner of these plans on sharing the wealth with his "friend" when, and if, any are sold, right? Assuming, of course, they're still on speaking terms!

OR.................perhaps I'm just extremely jealous that I don't have "friends" trying to dump some of their PRICELESS vintage drums on me FOR FREE!

Yes, that must be it.Excited

Posted on 15 years ago

Wow, that is unreal. What a score.Jump For Joy I agree with OldSchool though. He seems insistent that people "kindly advise" him on the drums, avoiding any criticism from his peers. Walking

Who really knows though.

1948 Gretsch Broadkaster "Dave Tough" 20/16/13 with matching 14" snare in Midnight Blue Pearl

1957 Ludwig Las Vegas Cocktail Kit 16x24 with matching 13x4 snare in Silver Sparkle

1967 Ludwig Club Date 20/14/12 with matching 14" Pioneer Snare in Silver Sparkle

1997 Ludwig Vintage Super Classic 22/18/16/13/12/10 with matching 14" Snare in Black Diamond Pearl
Posted on 15 years ago

I agree with the both of you....that guy seems a little too eager to capitalize on his little drum rescue. They are beautiful drums, though, and I can think of a few way more loving homes for them. (Mine? I'd start a Snare Sanctuary for those like they do for endangered species...)

As a side note. If he is going to screw his "friend" out of some possible money, I like the irony that he's a member of the Christian Drummer Army.

Posted on 15 years ago

I look at it this way, if he's that eager to sell, probably best that he does and maybe the drums will end up with someone who truly appreciates them. Shady as all hell, but that's between him and his friend (and the leader of his Christian Drummer Army, I guess.)

Of course, he could just be looking for insurance quotes. Who knows? I know the PDF is about the last place I'd go looking for information of vintage stuff. (And one of the last places I'd go period. :P)

Posted on 15 years ago

Never met a practicing "Christian" that wasn't very keen to make money; or criticize someone for one thing; whilst doing it in spades to someone else.

This guy knows too well what those drums are worth. If he was a drummer 'for Christ' he would be offering to sell the drums and take 20% - to donate to the church, of course. PDF is full of the scary types - check out their sigs.

Home Of The Trout
YouTube Channel
Posted on 15 years ago

From troutstudio

Never met a practicing "Christian" that wasn't very keen to make money; or criticize someone for one thing; whilst doing it in spades to someone else. This guy knows too well what those drums are worth. If he was a drummer 'for Christ' he would be offering to sell the drums and take 20% - to donate to the church, of course. PDF is full of the scary types - check out their sigs.

Hey now, I could easily say I've never met a non-Christian who wasn't eager to chastise a Christian. Let's be fair, you could easily substitute any human into your first statement.

Now, I frequented the PDF for a while. I hung around the Vintage and Snare Drum sections a lot before I discovered this forum, Ghostnote and the DFO. There are just as many good people on the PDF as there are "scary" people.

There have also been many times that I've questioned the motives of BoomCrashBang, but I've never talked bad about him, especially on other forums - it's not the Christian thing to do. Besides he represents himself well enough.

If insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, is it insane to practice?
Posted on 15 years ago

I will probably delete the thread in a few days, but let's see what happens. A few things here.

The information provided is not completely accurate and the word "Restore" was used. Also the photo of the WMP snare that is used belonged to me and came from this web site and my collection.

Regardless, he does use a smiley at the end of the first paragraph, so I gather it can be taken as this is just a story that does not really mean what happened.

I have had drummer stuff given to me by friends for this exact reason "going to a good home" then they died.

So the use of the word "Friend" can be taken many different ways and to some it means a lot more then to others.

So, that is life, he got three drums and after they are restored, sand blasted and painted pink we can all look back and wonder why people don't go to the experts for advice on what they have.

Nothing against the Pearl forum, I have sent people their to get there newer Pearl questions answered.

David

Posted on 15 years ago

From Webmaster

Also the photo of the WMP snare that is used belonged to me and came from this web site and my collection.

I know just what to do. Thanks for this info.

Posted on 15 years ago

hey no worries Leray1, that drum turned out to be from the 30's. It ended up in another collection and was one sweet snare drum!

Also, I think I'm a member on the Pearl forum! Just never posted, but read the vintage Pearl threads once and awhile.

My account was probably deleted a long time ago.

Thanks

David

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here