Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

gretsch tom bearing edge geometry

Looking for the bearing edge cut/geometry for a 1950 Gretsch 12" tom. Low side of cut is towards the outside of the shell. Almost appears to be rounded, but may be 2 cuts: 60 deg outside, 30 deg middle, and flat on the inside?

Posted on 16 years ago

ok -- zero replies.

Does anyone know the snare bed depth on 1950 round badge? If not, does anyone know where or who I can go to for this information?

Posted on 16 years ago

I would reply if I had the right answer for you. I have a early 60's round badge kit with original bearing edges, and what you have described seems about right. Its not a straight 30 or 45 degree cut like I thought it would be, but rather has a bit of rounding to it. I'm sure that somebody on here who is more of an expert on this will chime in, just be patient, and the answer will come. That is my experience with this site.

Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks Empiredrum.

I think what I'm going to do on the tom is re-router with 1/2" radius roundoverbit. The bearing of the bit needs to ride on the outside of the shell -- which is currently covered with the original wrap. I plan to adjust the height of the bit such that it will cut no deeper than the outside edge of the inner-most ply.

Now for the snare. Looks like I need to purchase a 60 deg chamfer bit to cut the 30 deg angle. I only found one such source for this bit: Amana tool -- and it's quite pricey.

For the snare bed, I'll have to whip up a template for the cutter bearing to ride on -- in order to follow the large radius.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here