Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

gretsch to slingerland

...had an old snare that I was using w/ a practice kit...decided one day to take the ugly wrap off and take a look...had all slingerland hardware but the shell was not a slingerland....took it to a knowledgable guy and he id'd the shell as a Gretsch, 6 ply maple early 60's. why would someone do that to a perfectly good Gretsch shell?

Posted on 16 years ago

Hey

Im not shure the reliability of this information, but i heard from a guy, who heard from a guy, who heard from a guy, that sometimes slingerland would use the same jasper shells as Gretsch. But im not shure... dont take my word for it haha

Posted on 16 years ago

I don;t thing Slingerland ever used jasper shells as they made their own.

Without photos, my hunch is that you had a Japanese Slingerland clone. Many of those drums had hardware that looked exacly like Slingerland's and had shells without rings that looked just like Gretch...they even would have the grey paint.

BTW, the next time you think a drum's wrap is ugly, post a picture of it here before you take it off a drum! Some drums with those "ugly" wraps intact are worth a small fortune...until you remove the wrap!

Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

I don;t thing Slingerland ever used jasper shells as they made their own.Without photos, my hunch is that you had a Japanese Slingerland clone. Many of those drums had hardware that looked exacly like Slingerland's and had shells without rings that looked just like Gretch...they even would have the grey paint.BTW, the next time you think a drum's wrap is ugly, post a picture of it here before you take it off a drum! Some drums with those "ugly" wraps intact are worth a small fortune...until you remove the wrap!

Thanks for the replies..took it to a friend who is a very knowledgable guy , he id'd the shell right away as a 60's Gretsch 6 ply Maple,,,,had all the right holes etc...someone tried to make it a slingerland and did some drilling...sent it to my friends guy who does bearing edges and he confirmed the story... so I'm gettting the edges done and covering it in WMP...should sound and look great but it'll be a gretsch shell w/ slingeland hardware.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here