Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

Gretsch Snare Help

Forum Members,

I could really use some help with identifying and valuing some Gretsch drums. I've recently taken on the task of selling four sets of Gretsch drums (plus some odds and ends) for the widow of my best friend. Your help will be greatly appreciated in identifying and valuing these drums.

The first drum is a wooden Gretsch, round badge snare, Black Pearl, model 4105, s/n 57049, 5.5 x 14, silver interior with damper. There is a slight separation in the covering at the joint.

Since this is my first attempt at a post, any suggestions to improve future submissions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Peter V

Posted on 16 years ago

Nice photos!

First, this is a 6 lug drum which makes a big difference in price. The 8 lug version is worth more.

Also, the "joint" is called the seam and that happens to vintage drums and can be fixed. It usually does not affect the price as much as most would think since it is an easy fix.

To help you get a better handle on value, I usually go to Ebay and see what similar drums have sold for in completed auctions. This is a rough outline for a value, since the finish and condition is a big factor in value..

A rare finish on a 6 lug drum can get more then a standard finish on an 8 lug drum.

So I would put this drum between $200 and $300 if it is all original and the finish is original.

I see the market value dropping on standard drums like this, but remaining strong on rare unique drums.

David

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here