Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Gretsch Round Badge strainer questions...

A couple of questions... I just picked up an old RB Gretsch for a STEAL. (I almost feel guilty revealing what I paid.) It's a 6 or 6.5 x 14 six ply with the "silver sealer" paint and Midnight Blue wrap. The strainer butt is unoriginal and it looks like there have maybe been two on before. (at different times) It has a lightning strainer and I can see no extra holes on that side, but I didn't think they made the lightning strainer during the RB days... I think it is a Broadkaster Floor Show, since it has the 16 seperate lugs. I think two of the "butt-holes" (: would match the butt in the picture of a later drum (not mine) that I've attached... the other four holes are in a rectangle like a microsensitive (right?) I'll get pictures during my lunch break. At the same place I also picked up a black/silver Niles badged Slingie 3 line brass shell 5x14, as well as a 70s 402 super-sensitive, converted to a p-85, so I'll be posting some want ads in the correct section.

Thanks!

Elec

Posted on 17 years ago

OK, I'm adding some pics. If it's unclear, the pic from the first post is another drum. I think that's the correct adjustable butt for the Lightning, right? I now don't think the holes are right for that, but I'm confused, because the holes for the actual strainer fit the lightning, and I don't see any others.... here are the pics, including the inside of the butt end of the drum, showing the 6 extra holes.

Posted on 17 years ago

>5 pictures

2 attachments
Posted on 17 years ago

can't forget the guard dogs.

:)

1 attachments
Posted on 17 years ago

DOH! Nevermind...I didn't read the first post clearly.

Nice dogs!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

It probably had a micro strainer. They broke pretty easily hence there are a lot of round badge drums out there with replacement throw offs. They either let go if you played music with a backbeat or they just broke. My round badge player has an after market throw off with an adapter plate that allows the the new throw off to be mounted without extra holes. I keep the micro in my parts box in case I ever decide to sell it. Those holes can be plugged with dowels and the paint can be touched up so you can hardly notice the work from the inside. The problem will be the holes on the outside. If you can find this wrap you can cover the holes on the outside with little tiny circles of the material. This is the reason extra holes make drums more affordable. The upside is the drum will be a great player. IMHO one of the all time great snare drums. All the great bop jazz drummers played Gretsch so you have a nice piece of history. I just went to a Cindy Blackman clinic last night and those Gretsch she played were extraordinary. She played the same size snare as you have and an 18x22 bass drum tuned wide open like a giant tom and the drums rang forever. Just fabulous. Enjoy.

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/sabshga/

http://www.myspace.com/garysabshon

Posted on 17 years ago

I was thinking a micro would have been about right. But the weird thing is that there is the lighting with no other holes around it... the butt side has the 6 extra holes... the only thing I can figure is that originally there was a microsensitive on the side where the replacement butt is presently. (there are 4 holes in a rectangle...) then it must have broken and for whatever reason a lightning was put on the butt side, with the three larger holes for it covering the two original "butt holes" :)

then the Lightning butt was put on the other side (2 holes + 4 for Micro). then it must have broken and been replaced by a Japanese knock off.

I think I'm gonna try and find a lightning butt for her and fill the extra 6 holes. Ch*erie has one on eBay for the great deal of $92

Eye Ball

I may try removing a couple lugs to get enough pearl covering to cover the little holes. Fortunately, they are quite small. If not, I've heard that Midnight Blue was used under different names by just about everyone, and it's not hard to come by today either.

A good buddy of mine has a stop sign gretsch just like this but in a natural lacquer finish. One of the best fat snare sounds I've ever heard, without losing the sensitivity.

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here