Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.05219%

Gretsch Round Badge find - what would you do?

Well, it's been a LOOOOOONNNNNNNG time since I've been on the forum here, but it's also been a long time since I've had any vintage drums. I just picked up a couple of round badge Gretsch and I'm not sure what to do with them.

I got a 13" tom and 22" bass drum, early 60's, wrapped in jet black nitron. The edges are great, the shells are solid, the chrome is an 8/10, and the only thing missing is the cymbal arm, a few tension rods on the tom, and the original spurs (I have the brackets, though). The bass drum hoops are a bit nicked and dented, and the inlay wrap is trash.

The wrap is the biggest issue. The seams are lifting on both drums (fixable), and the wrap itself is pretty scratched up and marred (beyond fixing, even with plastic polish).

I haven't decided yet if I'm' going to keep them. If I were to keep the drums, I would just rewrap them or do a natural finish - I'm not that much of a purist. But here's the question: If I were to sell them, would it be better to keep the original wrap on them and let the new owner deal with it?

I have them disassembled for cleaning, but here are a few pics of the condition.

https://www.shannonedens.com/gretsch

Posted on 1 year ago

If you plan to sell them, leave the wrap on.

'23 DW Collector's, Black Galaxy: 13/16/18/22/14 sn.
'01 DW Collector's, Oyster White: 8/10/12/14/16/22.
'24 DW Performance, Gold Sparkle, 12/14/20.
'59-ish Slingerland Pink Sparkle, 13/16/22.

'72 Slingerland Red Tiger Pearl: 12/13/16/16/22.
'70ish Slingerland Merlot Sparkle rewrap: 13/16/24.

'68ish Slingerland rewrap: 13/16/22.

'69 Rogers Holiday, Red Onyx: 13/16/24
'67 Ludwig Burgundy Sparkle: 12/13/16/22.
'70-ish Ludwig Std, Burgundy Oyster: 13/16/22.
'69-ish MIJ Drum Mate: Peacock Pearl: 13/16/22.
'67-ish MIJ Crown, Red Sparkle, 12/13/16/22.

'67-ish,. MIJ Drum Mate, Blue Oyster, 12/13/16/22.

Posted on 1 year ago

One benefit if you do decide to wrap them is jet black then is jet black now. So far as I have learned, there is no difference in the material then vs now. As DrumBob said, if you are selling, leave the wrap on and let the buyer decide what to do. Nice drums either way.

Posted on 1 year ago

Thanks for the replies! I leaning towards keeping them as is for now. I'll play them a bit and see if I want to keep or sell.

Posted on 1 year ago
Action Another action Something else here