Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Gretsch Resto....Inlay Conundrum!!

Guys, I would like your opinion on this...

I am almost done restoring a beautiful Blue Sparkle Gretsch Round Badge set.

Now, you need to understand that the blue sparkle wrap has faded (but evenly) so now its more of a blue-green than a deep blue. Typical fade for 50 year old wrap. Not a problem because all the drums have faded this way and they all match pretty well.

The bass drum did not have any hoops with it. I have been looking for a set of Gretsch hoops with the same faded BS inlay, no luck for 6 months. So in the meantime, I bought a set of generic metal hoops. I then bought a set of Blue sparkle inlays from Precision. I very carefully installed the inlays onto the metal hoops with double sided tape.

Heres the problem: The Inlays are modern, deep blue sparkle and simply dont match the faded blue-green of the bass drum wrap. Even tho its not super far off, in daylight its off enough to drive me nuts!

So....what to do:

1) Remove the BS inlay and go with naked metal hoops

2) Paint an old set of wood hoops I have black and install on bass drum.

3) Simpy WAIT for a set of Gretsch hoops , with the faded blue sparkle inlays.

What would YOU do?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Retro

Posted on 12 years ago

I'd go with the older wooden hoops, refinish them, and install a contrasting inlay.

Silver sparkle, chrome..... whatever floats your boat, and wait for some with faded blue blue sparkle to pop up....... and it might be a very long wait.

Kevin
Posted on 12 years ago

I once used red "candy apple" model paint over gold sparkle inlays to match tangerine sparkle. Worked great, maybe try some silver sparkle and a matching "candy apple" paint.

Posted on 12 years ago

Hey, Retrosonic! Several weeks ago, I purchased a MIJ kit with missing bass inlays. The rest of the set was done in blue sparkle which had darkened and faded over the years. The wrap was mint though! I too bought blue sparkle inlays from Precision so I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I had thought about silver or black sparkle but, decided to get the wrap as close as possible. It is not close but, it is at least a shade of the original. The more I look at it, the happier I am. Kinda cool. Finding the original wrap may prove next to impossible.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks for your comments guys. What I'm thinking is that I may go with Kevins idea and refinsh the wood hoops and install a chrome inlay. I happen to have a roll of chrome tape finish that looks amazing.....you would think it was real chrome. I'll see how that goes.

Pics when I am done!!

Posted on 12 years ago

I spoke to a printing guy who said he could take a scan from the wrap on the drums and print a vinyl inlay to match. It wouldn't sparkle but may get the right shade. I haven't tried it yet but I'm thinking of giving it a go for my Hayman hoops.

Andrew

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz
Posted on 12 years ago

Take a hi-res pic of the faded wrap, and order a custom wrap sheet from one of the major suppliers. Wouldn't that work? You have to get a whole sheet, but you could do a few snares to match or something with the extra. Just a thought!

Adam

Posted on 12 years ago

Adam, yes that would technically "work", but who wants to pay for a whole sheet just to get inlays.

A cheaper way would be to buy a really trashed drum that has the faded BS wrap, and cut enough strips off to make inlays.

Posted on 12 years ago

Adam, yes that would technically "work", but who wants to pay for a whole sheet just to get inlays.A cheaper way would be to buy a really trashed drum that has the faded BS wrap, and cut enough strips off to make inlays.

Even getting a shell on the cheap, it could be a bad move.... wrap is fragile, and removing it without ruining it is always a crap shoot.

Kevin
Posted on 12 years ago

I like the looks of contrasting in-lays in situations where I can't find a wrap to match what's on the drums themselves. It gives the kit a somewhat "unique" (although unoriginal) look.

2 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here