Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

Gretsch RB snare- HELP!!

I have been collecting vintage drums for a few years now and have aquired a nice collection of all the major US Brands (Rogers, 2 Slingerlands, Leedy, Ludwig) as well as some nice new custom and higher end snares.

Recently I obtained a beautiful WMP 1960's 8 Lug, 4 point strainer 5 1/2 x 14 Snare complete with the sliver interior and paper tag. Cosmetically the drum is gorgeous, with minimal fading to the wrap, that has resulted in a slightly grayish tint instead of the ussual yellowing.

Now the bad part: I HATE the way it sounds! The snare came with fairly new Remo Ambassadors, that suprisingly didn't fit too tightly. (I know that is ussually an issue with the RB's). Just to be on the safe side, and to ensure the best sound I purchased new Aquarian American Vintage heads for the top and bottom (medium weight).

No matter what combination of heads I use, and so far no matter how I tune it it sounds like garbage!

It is the least sensitive drum I have ever played, and has an extremely boxy sound. The drum sounds like someone glued some snares to a cardboard box!

I have done research and know that not everyone loved Gretches snares, and that many players would use Gretsch kits with another makers snare. However there are tons of pics of the greats (Max, Art, Elvin, etc.) performing on these snares.

I find it hard to believe that this is just the way they sound. I am hoping there is some secret or at least some advice someone here can give me as to how to make this snare sing!

One last thing- the snare beds are very deeply cut (as are most Gretsch snares I see form this era). I think this has a lot ot do with it, but there must be someway to still make this snare sound good. Re-cutting the beds/edges is something I really don't want to do (and I don't think something I should have to).

Drummers have been raving about these snares for decades now, and there has to be a reason...I just have yet to find it!

PLEASE HELP!

http://www.pkdrums.net
Posted on 16 years ago

I'm pretty sure it's those deep beds...they were meant for calf heads. You might consider trying a nice calf snare side head.

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 16 years ago

I was thinking about that. But I think the majority of owners probablly use plastic heads. I am hoping to find a good solution using what I have, before buying real calf.

http://www.pkdrums.net
Posted on 16 years ago

sounds like you have a "Renown" snare which has a cheaper but better strainer then the 2 banded Micro-Senstive strainer (the 3 banded Micos on 61/2 " & deeper snares had a little more of a drop then the 2 banded Micros) The big problem with Micros on 51/2" and shallower drums was they didnt drop down far enough and the snares rattled against the head in the off postion. The 42 strand snare wires used on the 60s models really choked the drum. Die cast hoops dont help either.The only way I got a decent sound on my 60s Renown was by using a 10 strand snare & any hoops that werenot die cast.....ps:I never had Gretsch snare from 50s-60s era that sounded good, except for a 50's 61/2" that was passable. Warning!! If you ever consider buying the very expensive & collectable "Max Roach" roundbadge snare , you better play one first....I had 3 and they were without a doubt, the ****test snares I ever heard. Great toms & bass drums though!!

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here