Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Gretsch Rail Consolette Bar....Two Types>?

Well, I thought I knew everything about Gretsch after playing them for 36 years, apparantly not!

I'm close to finishing the restoration of my vintage Blue Sparkle Round Badge Gretsch set, and now, I discover that Gretsch used two different types of Consolette Rails!! They are different diameters, and the mount that slips over the rail for the Tom, is ALSO a different diameter.

The newer rail (probably from the 60s) has bolts on the ends that secure it to the bass drum bracket. The older rail (50s) has two screws on TOP that secure it to the bracket.

So, you cant mix and match rails and mounts. Luckily, I have one complete assembly, even tho it has some chrome missing.

I will post pics when finished, probably this weekend.

Posted on 13 years ago

I think they had a rail that mounted to the drum with 4 screws in early 70's for a minute,so 3 versions actually...........

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 13 years ago

YES....i think I remember seeing that on a studio set once way back when.

Those nutty Gretsch Guys from Brooklyn!!

PS...the Grestch buildings in Brooklyn are still standing and still say 'Gretsch" on the top~!!~

Posted on 13 years ago

Ahhh, beloved Gretsch. Look forward to your pics.

B

Vintage Drum Fan (Not a Guru)
Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks, brother.

I'm really proud of what Ive done so far. She's looking mighty pretty. Will be a week or so until I'm ready to post pics...still have the "last mile" of work to do.

Posted on 13 years ago

There are also a few different riser arms (short and long) that attach to the rail. And, then there are a few different types of tilters for the end of the riser arm. A spade or spoon could be inserted into the tilter. The spade or spoon could be on the end of a very short rod or on a rod of various other lengths for positioning of the tom. And, then, Ludwig used an L arm in place of the spade or spoon. Many combinations could be kluged together from random parts, and any of them could be deemed "correct" because the drum makers were all very consistent in their inconsistency. W&A shipped out what was available. Gretsch was the last American drum maker of consequence to use the rail consolettes on new sets as late as the 1970's.

No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.
Posted on 13 years ago

Yes, Bop, youre right about the risers,but to my knowledge, Gretsch used more or the short risers than any other kind. I *have* seen the tall risers, but not that many.

My rail has a couple of cosmetic problems, but nothing major, so I'm going with it. Only ran me $25 too!!

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here